Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to @ a specific user in a comment that part of an automation rule?

Jayme Burkhalter August 5, 2022

If a comment is added as part of an automation rule, can I add an @ for a specific user to be notified of the change?

I have only been able to find how to mention someone like the Assignee, or Creator, or Reporter. 

Use case:

As a portfolio manager

Who is not necessarily an Assignee, Creator, or Reporter,

I want to be notified (in the comment) when a Feature/Epic is auto-closed by an automation rule, so I can prepare to release that Feature and notify stakeholders of the full completion of the Feature

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2022

Yes, it is possible, but you have to use the markdown text and know the user's AtlassianId in order to do it like this:

[~accountid:{{issue.assignee.accountId}}]

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2022

BTW, to find your account ID or those of others:

The easiest way I've found to find my accountId is to click on my icon on the sidebar and then on the "Profile" link. In the URL you can find your accountId after the last "/" :

Per @miikhy here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/where-can-i-find-my-Account-ID/qaq-p/976527

Like # people like this
Jayme Burkhalter August 8, 2022

@Mikael Sandberg thank you!  so i tested this out but i think i had some trouble with the code in the brackets...i wrote it like so:

[~accountid:{{issue.assignee.myaccountidhere}}]

and the comment that was left resulted in this:

[~accountid:]

Am I meant to put my account id in the front or in the issue.assignee.accountid portion?  or both?

(note: "myaccountidhere" is meant to represent my actual account id number)

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

You should not add your actual ID if you are the assignee, you should then use what I added above:

[~accountid:{{issue.assignee.accountId}}]

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

The only time you would replace the smart value with the actual account ID would be if the user you want to @ mention is not in a user field on the issue. But if you have a field for lets say, stakeholders, the markdown text would be:

[~accountid:{{issue.Stakeholder.accountId}}] 

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

From my reading of @Jayme Burkhalter 's original post, he wants to @ mention

... a portfolio manager

Who is not necessarily an Assignee, Creator, or Reporter,

So yes, if there is a Portfolio Manager field, then this should work:

[~accountid:{{issue."Portfolio Manager".accountId}}] 

But if they're actually trying to "hard code" a specific user then it should be:

[~accountid:JaymesAccountid] 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events