cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change something in the ticket triggered by changing other field content

Sarit Ashtar December 14, 2022

Hi,

We are using Jira on cloud.

I'm trying to find a way to ask the user to do something online, when he changes some field on the form.

Example:

User is updating field x to value "Yes", as a result, I would like to ask him to fill some data in field y - online.

Is there a way of doing it online?

3 answers

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2023

Hi @Sarit Ashtar ,

That's doable through an app, as previously mentioned.

If field Y were a single select field, then you can substitute fields X and Y with a custom field of type Cascading Select.

Alternatively, you may just add the second field with the instructional text "(if applicable)".

Regards

0 votes
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2022

Hi @Sarit Ashtar 

One hack you could try if you're really desperate is to make this field editable only via a workflow transition, and then add a validator to the transition to make the other field required. Let me know if you're interested and I can outline the steps I would try.

Kel

Sarit Ashtar December 15, 2022

Hi Kelly,

Yea.. thought about this option, but it will not work for me, as the one who might change the field from No to Yes and insert the missing data, is the requestor, while the one who changes the status is the provider, different people, different groups.

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2022

What I'm suggesting is that you could add a transition from the current status to the current status, and make that the only way to edit the field you're interested in.

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2022

@Sarit Ashtar Hi and welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If the user updates field x to value "Yes", you can create a comment to the issue and ask the user this way (it should also be possible to mention him) - it should be relatively easy to prepare such automation rule. This is the only way I can imagine doing this, but maybe others will have better ideas.

Sarit Ashtar December 15, 2022

Hi,

Thanks.

Actually, what I want to enforce the user to insert the data (something similar to mandatory field).

Nevertheless, how do I do what you have suggested? 

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2022

@Sarit Ashtar You can create automation rule, something like:

WHEN: Value changes for x

IF: x equals Yes

THEN: Add comment to issue

Vamsi Kandala
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 21, 2022

Hi @Hana Kučerová

Creating automation means, we are hard-coding the user response and adding it to the comments.  If the requirement is that the standard text should be added to the comments every time the user selects 'Yes', then this is fine.

Based on what I understand, there are two fields 'x' and 'y'.  The field 'y' should only be displayed when the user selects 'Yes' option for field 'x'.  Then prompt the user to enter something accordingly and it should be mandatory.

There are two ways to do this and both require plugins like ScriptRunner (using Behaviors) and Dynamic Forms.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Vamsi

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2022

Hi @Vamsi Kandala ,

thank you for your comment, but user is on cloud and these functionalities such as behaviours or dynamic forms for custom fields are not available (maybe will be in the future, but not now). That is why I was suggesting this kind of solution, even though is not optimal.

Jarosław Solecki _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 22, 2022

Hi @Hana Kučerová , 

we recently added support for single select and paragraph custom fields in Dynamic Forms Cloud.
If I understand you correctly the single select should be appropriate for your case. 

In January we are introducing more fields (multi-select and user-pickers) and also some additional features. 

Best regards, 
Jarek

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 26, 2022

Hi @Jarosław Solecki _Deviniti_ ,

thank you. If you are able to show and make text field mandatory based on the single select custom field value in cloud, then it is perfect solution.

Jarosław Solecki _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 27, 2022

@Hana Kučerová  "Set as required" feature is the one we are also introducing in January. 
To be more precise here is the scope of the January release: 

• Set field as Required
  • Support for Multi Select, User Picker and Multi-User Picker custom fields 
  • Redesign of rules configuration to improve User Experience

Here is also our public roadmap for Cloud: https://trello.com/b/D2VPCRhk/cloud-dynamic-forms-roadmap

Let me know if there is something else you are willing to see there! 

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 28, 2022

@Jarosław Solecki _Deviniti_ Fantastic! I'm looking forward to it. It's great this functionality is coming to cloud.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events