Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Automation rules to accompany the 'Getting started with automation in Jira' webinar!

40 comments

Assia Touati April 29, 2020

Thank you soooooooooooooo much ! 

Sara P June 11, 2020

Hi all, 

Can anyone of you please let me know,  how to make my {{issue.key}} or {{issue.summary}} as hyperlinks while adding in rules to access that issue from slack?

@John McKiernan 

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2020

Hey @Sara P ,

give this a go: <a href="{{issue.toUrl}}">{{issue.key}}</a>

<a href="{{issue.toUrl}}">{{issue.summary}}</a>

Hope that helps!

Like Sara P likes this
John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2020

Also for anyone who missed the follow up webinar on more advanced automation rules, you can watch it on demand here: https://www.atlassian.com/webinars/software/how-to-supercharge-your-automation-in-jira-cloud

Or see the rules we covered here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-discussions/3-Jira-automation-rules-we-will-cover-in-our-advanced-webinar/td-p/1398109

Cheers

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2020

Hey @John McKiernan  - I am getting a 404 error on the webinar link.  

And thanks again for such a super webinar yesterday!

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
June 14, 2020

Thanks for attending John! 

Hmm may have been temporary as they uploaded the recording - looks like it is working now: https://www.atlassian.com/webinars/software/how-to-supercharge-your-automation-in-jira-cloud

Cheers

Like John Funk likes this
Dharmesh Barot June 16, 2020

Hi @John McKiernan! Automation is making our lives a lot easier :) Thanks for rolling this out!

I created an automation to sum Remaining Estimate of all subtasks and update the parent ticket's Remaining Estimate each time a subtask's Time Tracking is updated.

Automation ran but the result is off

Parent A has 2 subtasks (Subtask X with RE of 2h and Subtask Y with RE of 1h)

Automation updated Parent A's Remaining Estimate to 10,740h (360w) instead of 3h.

Here's the smart value syntax {{issue.subtasks.Remaining Estimate.sum}}

Any idea how do I get it to update to 3h?

Best!

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
June 17, 2020

Hey @Dharmesh Barot ,

Glad automation is making lives easier! That's the goal :)

think the issue here is that Jira's default time tracking is in minutes so you would need to do a little bit of math to print it in hours. 

I want to call out here that I failed maths in school several times but I think what you will need is:

{{#=}}{{issue.subtasks.Remaining Estimate.sum.sum}} / 60{{/}}

or 

{{#=}}{{issue.subtasks.Remaining Estimate.sum.sum}} / 3600{{/}}

You can see a little more on this thread: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/Sum-Original-Estimate-on-parent-issue/qaq-p/1403294

Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll ask an engineer who didn't fail maths to get it right for you!

John

Like Deleted user likes this
Martina Schmidt July 22, 2020

Hello John,

thank you so much for the webinar and the article, it really is making life easier. I wanted to utilize the automation in example 1 as it is one we would love to use. I have set it up as is shown in the example. The rule runs, but it keeps giving me the status of no action taken with the reason: Issue condition not met. 

I created a new epic, so I am a little confused as to which condition was not met. Do you have any ideas what might be causing this? We are using JIRA Cloud.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated. 

Tina

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2020

Hi @Martina Schmidt  - Another (mostly lesser) John here.  :-)

Can you share a screenshot of the rule and one of the audit log with the error?

Martina Schmidt July 22, 2020

Hi @John Funk - wow that was fast! :) Hello. Screenshot is included below. Bascially it's the German version of the English example. The test Issue JIRA-32 was created as an epic. As you can see I have tried a lot to get it to work with no luck....

Error Automation.JPGJira32.JPG

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2020

Is this a Next-gen project? Because I know there are some issues with Automation for Jira and Epics for Next-gen. 

Maybe as a test, change the rule to another issue type (like Task or Story) and create one of those and see if the sub-tasks get created. If so, then we know the Epic type is suspect. 

Like Martina Schmidt likes this
John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
July 22, 2020

Hey @Martina Schmidt

as usual @John Funk is quicker than me and on the mark!

Like Martina Schmidt likes this
Martina Schmidt July 23, 2020

Good morning! 

@John Funk yes, we use projects of the next generation. 

@John McKiernan I have tested it with different issue types, it seems the problem doesn't only affect the epic type, but also task types, I couldn't get it to work with either.

Thank you for letting me know about the bug. :) I was getting worried that there was something I may have missed.

I tinkered with the rules a bit and have copied the automation rule to a test project and tried to run it there. I finally managed to get it to run successfully and create the sub tasks automatically and link them up to the epic that caused their creation. Another road block was initially not having a text in the description which caused an error in the rule as the field could not be removed and caused the rule to fail. With a text in the comment field the rule runs like a charm.

Now to copy the rule to the other projects. :) I will still have to figure out how to best move the issues from the backlog to the board in next gen projects without scrum. I know about issue JSWCLOUD-17471  and will keep an eye on that. Till then I have to find a best practise.

Thank you both so much for your help!

Tina

Like John McKiernan likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2020

Hi Tina - glad you got it working! Thanks for the good feedback and screenshots. And thanks as always to @John McKiernan for jumping into the fray.  :-)

Like John McKiernan likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events