Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sum Original Estimate on parent issue

Nofar Ben Kereth June 11, 2020

Hey,

I attended the webinar on June 11th, and was very happy to hear you now have the option to sum numeric fields from subtasks to its parents. 

We are using Original Estimate field and when I tried to aggregate this value on the parent I got weird large numbers as 1 day being copied as 720 weeks to the parent. 

With Story Points it worked well (tried it so I can understand what is wrong). 

Will be happy for help, this feature is super super helpful for us. 

My rule goes like that:

When value change for Time Tracking

If issue type is subtask

For Parent

Edit Original Estimate value (smart value: {{issue.subtasks.original estimate.sum}})

5 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
robyn
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 11, 2020

Default time tracking is in minutes -- need to divide your count to get hours/days etc.

Check your default tracking in:

https://YOURINSTANCE. atlassian.net/secure/admin/TimeTrackingAdmin.jspa 

robyn
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 11, 2020

{{#=}}{{issue.subtasks.original estimate.sum}} / 60{{/}}

we are using this same format but using remaining estimate and we are finding that the remaining estimates are continually added to one another. Do we need to 0 out the story on each subtask update? 

{{#=}}{{issue.subtasks.remaining estimate.sum}} / 60{{/}}

Nofar Ben Kereth June 14, 2020

Hey Robyn! 

Thanks for your answer. 

I tried your solution and I still getting wrong sumups. 

My default unit is Hours and when I set 1 day in the subtask, the parent gets 12weeks. 

Any ideas?

Nofar Ben Kereth June 14, 2020

Ok it worked when I divided it by 3600. Thanks!!

Like # people like this
Michael WANG September 6, 2022

Hi Nofar, 

I have the same issue with yours. could you share your solution for the smart value? my default unit is minutes.

Mahesh C Narayanan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 18, 2022

How can I exclude QA Sub-Tasks while rolling up the original estimates of sub-tasks to story level?

Like Sami Kankaanpää likes this
1 vote
Lee Reyes June 15, 2020

hi. i also attended the june 11 session.

answer mentioned above is working for subtasks.
sum of subtasks under a story is rolled up to original estimate of story.

but why does the original estimate for Epic not changed?
i changed the parameters and is expecting something like "if original estimate of an issue (that has a parent) is updated, then update the original estimate of parent (epic) to sum of original estimate of underlying issues (Bug/Task/Story)"

image.pngimage.png

Stine Søndergaard August 27, 2020

Hey @Lee Reyes ,

Have you found a solution for this?

Best,

Stine

Lee Reyes August 27, 2020

hi @Stine, no. not yet. I havent looked at the issue again since I reported it here.

Stine Søndergaard August 31, 2020

Oh, alright.

Thanks for the fast reply! (:

0 votes
Duy Tran Quang June 11, 2021

adding subtask "original estimate" will update the parent "original estimate" value => works fine but when deleting a subtask, the parent value is not updated. Do you have any idea? 

Thanks

Mariana Kyrova October 8, 2021

Hi Duy! I guess you have already solved it in the meantime :) But maybe worth mentioning: what worked for me was adding another automation rule which starts with "When Issue Deleted" and the rest is same as the first rule. 

Like Ravi likes this
Carlyle Brown January 10, 2023

Can you add task "original estimate" to update epic "original estimate"???

or even subtasks "original estimate" to update task "original estimate" to update epic "original estimate" ???

0 votes
Parvathy Manishanker davey June 22, 2020

@Nofar Ben Kereth My parent story is estimated in story points and I have sub tasks for that parent. How can we sum up sub-task estimates to roll up automatically to user story level with parent issue representing estimate as story point. Can this be done? Please help

Daniel Loewenstein December 7, 2020

Came across your post while looking for a similar answer. I haven't tested things out yet but I think this thread has the answer how to get the parent to automatically update with the same of store points of child tasks: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/How-can-you-automatically-sum-the-story-points-of-all-subtasks/qaq-p/863364

It appears that you can specify a sum operation using JSON along the lines of:

{
     "fields": {
           "customfield_10021": {{#=}}{{subtasks.customfield_10021.join(" + ")}}{{/}}

}
}

The trick is that you have to track down the name of the field that is used for the store point estimates in your project.

0 votes
John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2020

Hey all, 

Sherry, one of the engineers, who build out this new functionality posted an article answering a few of these questions. Would be good to take a look and ask any other questions you might have there :)

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/How-to-sum-up-logged-hours-using-automation-in-Jira-Cloud/ba-p/1409115

Cheers,

John

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events