Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

going all in cloud product from present on -premise

Thomas Burke August 28, 2020

Hi community experts.  Thanks for helping on this upfront , I do not seem to be getting the answers I need from our support contracts with Atlassian due to the siloed nature of the Atlassian support organization.

I was wondering of  user who may have been in the same scenario can enlighten.

I have Bitbucket, Confluence,  Jira  all running local on-premise.  There is a push to move to cloud because of the cost  to go to the next tier management sees as too much.    2 months a year we  go over the 100  licenses for our Summer intern program and the next tier is like 20K+  I am told.  ( we asked about scholastic  lic  , no help there)

Has anyone move to all three Bitbucket , Jira and Confluence  into the cloud if  so :

1) If cost was the impetus , did you realize the cost reductions you wanted?

2) What order did you migrate to cloud ,  does it make more sense to move  Jira and  Conflunce first due to the problem what it would cause with integrations and switching from identity provider AD  versus AAD.

2 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2020

Hi @Thomas Burke,

I have not moved all three to the Cloud, however, we have moved our Jira server to Cloud which we have communicating to our BitBucket Server that is still on premise.

To answer question #1 - Yes we saw the cost reductions we were looking for.  Cloud offers monthly billing (which is not offered for Server) there are point where it is much cheaper to be on monthly billing as you only pay for the number of licensed used you have using the product.  For example, the moment you hit user 101 you don't need to pay for a 250 user license you simply pay for 101 users which is much cheaper.

To answer question #2 - If you are planning to move all three to the Cloud, I don't believe the order is as important as simply doing them one at a time.  Focus on the one that you believe makes the most sense and complete moving that to the Cloud, making sure your integrations back to your existing server products are working before starting the next one.  We were using a fairly simple, basic Jira setup and that took about two months to get migrated, so plan that this will take some time to complete.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

0 votes
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 2, 2020

@Thomas Burke - I have moved this to the Atlassian Cloud Migrations section so it is more likely to be seen by people how can help you with your migration questions.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events