Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Service Management migrations now supported in the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant

676333ad-d0c1-4f2f-836e-8f71552e6b2e.png

Over the past year, we’ve accelerated our investment in Atlassian’s Cloud Migration Assistants to account for the different types of data that our customers need to move to Cloud.

Today, we’re excited to announce that you can now migrate Jira Service Management projects, users, groups, and customers using the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant. With the launch of this beta program, customers can now migrate all of their Atlassian Server and Data Center products using Atlassian’s free migration tooling: the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant (now migrates both Jira Software and Jira Service Management data), the Confluence Cloud Migration Assistant, and the Bitbucket Cloud Migration Assistant. Our teams are committed to making it as easy as possible for our customers to make the move to Atlassian Cloud.

How to access the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant: The tool is already installed in Jira 8.14 and above and can also be downloaded from the Atlassian Marketplace. Learn more about how to use Jira Cloud Migration Assistant.

Jira Service Management migration using the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant has been in early access since June. During that period, we received valuable customer and Solution Partner feedback that has shaped and improved the tool we’re now bringing to market. If you have feedback on how we can continue to make this capability better, please let us know in the comments below or leave your feedback on this Jira ticket.

How to migrate Jira Service Management data using the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant

The Jira Cloud Migration Assistant enables you to easily migrate Jira Service Management projects, users, groups, and customers. Here’s a high level view of the process:

1. Select your destination cloud site

11.png

2. Choose your migration options

22.png

3. Check for errors

33.png

4. Review your migration

44.png

5. Manage and run your migrations

55.png

For more information on how to migrate Jira Service Management data, please visit the Atlassian support documentation. If you have feedback or questions about Jira Service Management migrations, please let us know in the comments below.

19 comments

Comment

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2021

One question - if this has been released, why is this still called a beta program?

Also, any word on Advanced Roadmaps support in the JCMA?  Ok that was two.

Like # people like this
Vineet Gandhi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 18, 2021

Hello Rob,

Thank you for reaching out. The Jira Service Management feature has been released as Beta as we are keen to gather early feedback from our customers and improve the migration experience further where needed.

On Advanced Roadmaps migrations - we are actively working on bringing this capability to all customers. This is already available as part of our Early Access Program and we will soon be releasing this widely. Please follow updates here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/MIG-152

Many thanks,

Vineet Gandhi

Product Management, Cloud Migrations

Like # people like this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2021

Great!!  😊

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2021

Thank you @Vineet Gandhi  - this is excellent news.  I look forward to seeing all products using the migration assistants.  If there was a way to make Scriptrunner migrations easier...

((chef's kiss))

John Mustac February 28, 2022

Is there any timing on adding JSM capability to the cloud/cloud migration of cloud site, which currently doesn't do JSM?

Like # people like this
Deleted user March 1, 2022

@Vineet Gandhi - What is the best way to Migrate a JSM cloud project to another cloud site without the cloud to cloud migration tool?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2022

@[deleted] you asked a painful question :)

You have to perform a full site restore from the Cloud instance to an on-prem instance - which means you need to provision a new server, new database, and do a full Jira installation, and then restore your backup onto that server.  Also remember when I say server I mean Data Center because Server is facing the end of its time in this plane of existence.

Then you can use the JCMA to migrate your JSM projects into your target Cloud instance - following this process: https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/use-the-jira-cloud-migration-assistant-to-migrate/

Like # people like this
Viren Pankhania May 31, 2022

hi there, is there any solution available for JSM project migration from cloud to cloud or still we required to follow on-prem to cloud and cloud-cloud channel.

Like # people like this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2022

HI @Viren Pankhania I believe its still as it was, using on-prem as a staging center.

Like # people like this
Arno Fuchsberger November 25, 2022

Setup: Migration from cloud to cloud

I'm trying to use this feature, but I cannot select a Jira Service Management during the migration process.

I've successfully migrated multiple Jira Software projects cloud to cloud with the migration assistent.

Jira Service Management projects seem not be selectable.

Is there any thing I can change in settings etc.? Or was this feature revoked? 

Like Suyash Rane likes this
Daniel Lock March 9, 2023

Hi,

It's still not possible to migrate JSM project from cloud to cloud. Is there any workaround by converting JSM project to Software project first then use the built-in Cloud site migration ? 

Any feedback or others idea would be appreaciated. Thanks

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2023

@Daniel Lock I imagine there would be a great deal of JSM-specific functionality loss going this route.  If all you care about are the issues, then maybe? 

Stephen Roughley March 14, 2023

@Vineet Gandhi The JSM cloud-cloud option does not appear. We have successfully migrated a Software project, but the JSM projects are not available using the same tool. I see that the suggestion is to use an on-prem instance to stage a JSM migration but how do we do this when the on-prem installation option was retire

Like Nika likes this
Melinda N. April 20, 2023

Can anyone share a resource that prepares JSM users for migration, specifically showing the differences between on-prem and Cloud, migration considerations, and what's new in JSM Cloud? 

Suyash Rane May 2, 2023

@Arno Fuchsberger Hey I'm in a similar situation, I need to migrate a service management project but that project is not showing while selecting projects in the migration assistant. Did you find any workaround?

Like Chad.Findley likes this
Benjamin Odenthal June 27, 2023

Just one question, what kind of a mess is this? 

C2C Migration without Jira Service Management, so what is the official workaround then? 

Manas Shukla
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2023

Hi @Suyash Rane  @Benjamin Odenthal @Daniel Lock @Stephen Roughley 

I am the product manager for this feature in JSM. The migrate cloud site option located under (settings -> Migrate cloud site) doesn't yet support migration of JSM projects. You can follow this issue to get updates on the current progress. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-11337

This feature is already under development and while giving exact timelines is hard right now we are targeting for an EAP release in Q1 of 2024. Though if you need this feature, I would highly recommend you book a time slot with me and the team using the link below so that we can understand your requirements, give you a glimpse into our thinking on this feature and see if you can be part of EAP.

https://calendly.com/manas-atlassian/30-minute-jsm-data-portability

Like # people like this
Jan Stähle August 3, 2023

When will this be rolled out to the Jira Cloud to Cloud Migration Assistant? 

Swarna Mehta
Atlassian Team
December 4, 2023

@Jan Stähle @Benjamin Odenthal @Viren Pankhania @John Mustac We have launched the early access program for JSM cloud to cloud migrations to make it easy to copy JSM projects from one cloud site to another.

If you are interested in the same, please look at the details and sign up here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Cloud-Admins-articles/Early-Access-Program-for-Copy-Product-Data-for-Jira-Service/ba-p/2500826

We should be able to release the feature to you before the end of the month.

Like Viren Pankhania likes this
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events