Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JQL/Filter to search for specific issue link Types and Links

Taduri_ Kiran May 28, 2020

By using JQL using 1)  issueFunction in hasLinks("is blocked by")  or  2) issueFunction in hasLinkType(Blocks) one can get the list of issues that have this link.

And in the results the column "Links" shows the issuekey that satisfy this criteria.  But the shortcoming is "Links" columns also shows issuekey that does not satisfy this criteria.

Ex: Result may show ABC-123 has "Links" ABC-345, ABC-456.  But only ABC-345 is the right link that satisfies the link type = Blocks.  ABC-456's link type =Depends.

How to narrow downs only those Links that meet a very specific Link Type.  Ex: If I search for Link Type = Blocks, I dont want to see Links that dont meet this specific Link Type.

5 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 29, 2020

Hi Taduri, Kiran,

JQL is the responsible to narrow the issue impacted by the given query.

For those issues, will show the present value within any of the configured colums.

Links columns will always shows all links within the field regardless of the query, because the query only affects to the issues showing not filder the value on their fields in wany way.

Regards

Taduri_ Kiran May 29, 2020

@Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_ 

I get the logic you point to.  But are there any options to filter the info to view only those "Links" that meet the "Link Type" constraint?

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 29, 2020

hmmm what about something like this?

Supposing issues with "is blocked by" link have some constrains like project = myproject  or status != done

You can query linked issues matching the 'is blocked by' criteria using this:

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf('project = myproject and status != done', 'is blocked by')

Regards

Like # people like this

That would only narrow down the data set but the "Links" will show all issue keys that may or may not meet the JQL Filter

Marketplace Partner
May 29, 2020

Provided JQL should display linked issues which appeared before on "Links" columns, filtered by the given link criteria. However if you check the "Links" colums for these issues will display all links regardless of the given criteria since as I said before there is no way to filder colum data using JQL only matches issues.

Understand the constraint and I am seeking any solution that can address this.  Thank you 

Marketplace Partner
May 29, 2020

The only alternative here is create a Calculated Scripted Field to dynamically show the 'is blocked by' issues of the current issue. Then, add that new field as a Colum in spite of the Links field.

You need some groovy skills to do that.

Like Joachim Schneider likes this

Thank you , in other words create a new custom field?

Marketplace Partner
May 29, 2020

A scripted one using Script Runner for Jira

Marcus O'Brien September 14, 2021
Field 'issueFunction' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.
Like # people like this
3 votes
Werner Schott December 6, 2021

The lack of selection in JQL is a massive deficiency. Not worthy of the QL suffix.

1 vote
Kieran Tighe August 21, 2020

This is a good question, and seems like a deficiency in querying to me, that you can't manipulate the columns in any way...  It makes links information in particular difficult to use at any macro level for exact reasons you outline.

One possible alternative is the Structure plug-in if you have it - there you can group by link / link type, so you can build a tree structure showing who's dependent on whom.

0 votes
Kushal Amin March 22, 2021

Hi, are you still facing this issue ? If so, could you share what was the workaround that finally helped retrieve the right data for your query.

0 votes
Brad Quirk - Quirk Consulting
Marketplace Partner
May 30, 2020

Hi Kiran,

I've been struggling with the same kind of problem, to the point where I built my own app to solve it. This app allows you to specify a JQL query, limit the number of issue link types that get returned, and even create sub-filters to isolate certain projects/fields - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221796/dependency-mapper-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Anna October 10, 2023

Hi Kiran,

I am exploring possibility of having better traceability report in Jira. Will your tool allow me to build it? 

We use Zephur for test purposes which has a built in Traceability report for

Requirements --> Tests --> Executions --> Defects

JQL doesn't give the flexibility of building complex queries and dumps all links in LINKS column, regardless of their type.

I need to see Epics in front of this chain with issue link types where applicable. Is it possible with your tool?

Like Michael Paquereau likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events