Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a knowledge base of troubleshooting or migration horror stories to help when stuck?

Everyone wants to believe things will go well when they are about to embark on a project, but just like watching This Old House won't give you the skills to remodel your kitchen, reading about Atlassian cloud migrations won't guarantee success.  

It seems like there are lots of places where things can go wrong, or where you can get stuck and not know how to move ahead. Is there a self-serve knowledge base of migration gotchas out there somewhere?  If you have problem X do this?

6 comments

Comment

James Richards
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2022

Hi @Jean Dupree

Most of the documentation you'll need starts with

The planning and assessing stage is really important. But a few tips I can give include

1. Make sure your user base is correct. Many LDAP users have lots of un-needed users in their directory that should be removed. (e.g. does a phone need an Confluence account, true story)
  2. Clean up Projects and Space and determine what you really need to migrate. Does the project from 5 years ago that is no longer active need to be migrated?
  3. Assess your apps and determine which ones you really need and do they have a migration path.

Hope this helps.

Like # people like this
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2022

Hi @Jean Dupree 

Good call. There are many unexpected issues and the documentation is quite generic.

Case in point - last we week we claimed our domain and discovered a huge population of ‘free’ trello users that has doubled our Atlassian Access bill. We may ditch Access. 

Like Jean Dupree likes this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2022

Hi @je,

Good day. Welcome to the Atlassian community. I am Sri Kumar from the Migration support team. 

Is there a self-serve knowledge base of migration gotchas out there somewhere?

Before starting a Migration it would be good to go through the migration checklist:

Also to know about the Planning guides for migration please check out:

For Troubleshooting articles, Please check out the below links:

If you need assistance with any issues, you can also reach out to the migration support team by creating a case via the support portal:

Hope the above information's are helpful. 

Regards,
Sri Kumar P

Like # people like this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2022

Hi @Sri Kumar the resources you provided are a great starting point, but there are so many things I wish there were articles posted for, some of them little, some of them big. 

For example, I'm working on a migration right now and I have a situation where the JCMA is telling me that multiple users have the same email address.  No addresses are presented.  There is a hyperlink that states "4 users" - when I click on that link I get to user management and every user in the system is shown to me.

Also, I chose to migrate a subset of users and groups related to the projects I selected.  I got a set of 8 users returned with invalid email addresses.  Most are not part of any group nor do they have product access, so why am I seeing these users if I am only migrating users/groups related to my projects?

I would love an article on how to quickly resolve these issues.

Like # people like this
Jean Dupree April 5, 2022

@James Richards thank you for the information.  How do I clean up users when they are in another directory?  Like the comment above, the migration tool is telling me that I have users with duplicate email addresses and invalid addresses, but I can't fix them from inside Jira.  If I fix them in AD won't I be damaging those accounts?  How can I fix them or at least get them out of my Atlassian tools without modifying them in the directory?

James Richards
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2022

It depends on where the problem is. You can clean up your LDAP filters in Jira so the unwanted users are removed.

In your company, when someone leaves do you change their email address to something like fred@localhost.com or similar so they no longer work? JCMA usually provides a report, and if not the logs should have the list of users.

Otherwise you're going to have to check your directory to see what these invalid email addresses are and fix them manually.

James.

Like Sri Kumar likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events