Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvement suggestions for AI writing in Confluence

Stefan Draber July 8, 2024

Hi all,

during the last few weeks, I tried to generate some content in our Confluence instance with AI. But every single time I ended up switching to some 3rd party AI, because I didn't get Confluence AI to provide me with appropriate content :\

But instead of just being frustrated, I want to share my feedback to help making things better, so here are some of my pain points:

• Please let me use various independent AI-sections within one page. As of now, when I have one AI-section on my page, every next AI-section wants to relate to the content of the first AI-section. That's very bothering when I want to have two or more sections whose content have nothing to do with each other.
  • When I want to refine the AI-generated content with a second prompt, AI often (but not always) generates new content only based on the second prompt while ignoring the first prompt, e.g.:
    • prompt 1: describe what my organization "abc inc." is doing
    • result: "abc inc. is doing this and that."
    • prompt 2: add to that description, how "abc inc." could make use of product xy and point out the benefits
    • result: "abc inc. could use product xy for this and that and then would be better."
      • the result for prompt 1 is missing completely, which makes the result kind of useless for me
  • Please let me AI-translate a whole table with all of its content. As of now, I have to go into every single cell, mark the text and translate it, which is quite time-consuming for big tables

I'd be more than happy if we could create high quality content directly in the editor in the future, the points mentioned above would definitely help to get there :)

1 comment

Comment

Ethan Yew
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2024

@Stefan Draber , thank you for channelling your energy into providing us with some constructive feedback! Responding to the issues you've mentioned below: 

Please let me use various independent AI-sections within one page. As of now, when I have one AI-section on my page, every next AI-section wants to relate to the content of the first AI-section. That's very bothering when I want to have two or more sections whose content have nothing to do with each other.

Would love to jump on a call with you to see this in action. We are considering giving more control to users to specify the context from which your AI prompt should pull from. So if you don't want AI to reference other sections in your page, you should be able to tell it to ignore them essentially.

When I want to refine the AI-generated content with a second prompt, AI often (but not always) generates new content only based on the second prompt while ignoring the first prompt, e.g.:

This is a good illustrative example of context being lost along the way as you attempt to refine the initial outputs of your prompt. There's also no way of being able to navigate to your previous response(s), which is also on our roadmap to tackle.

Please let me AI-translate a whole table with all of its content. As of now, I have to go into every single cell, mark the text and translate it, which is quite time-consuming for big tables

There are some workarounds to achieve this without going into each cell one-by-one. You can achieve this via selection of the whole table, or specifying the table as the subject in your prompt. Can't share video in this comment, but I'd be more than happy to share them over a call sometime. We're looking to make this a simpler and intuitive experience in future as well.

The team and I would like to extend an invitation to delve deeper into this feedback with you. Have you encountered any other challenges using the writing assistant feature? Do you have any suggestions for enhancing the feature further?

As a token of our appreciation for your time, you will receive a thank-you gift from us valued at up to $75 USD. Please feel free to schedule a meeting using either of the meeting scheduling links below at your convenience.

This offer is open to anyone else reading along who'd like to pass on feedback to our team by the way!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Ethan

Stefan Draber July 11, 2024

Hi @Ethan Yew 

thank you for your swift feedback. Actually that's what makes me feel that providing feedback is worth it: I get the feeling that it's heard and considered :)

And thanks also for providing the workaround for my table translation struggle. I resolved it by putting my request in a prompt, which actually worked pretty good (except for losing the table formatting).

The other method you described - selecting the whole table - didn't work for me (or we're misunderstanding each other). Actually this would have been the solution I hoped for: selecting the whole table -> AI -> translate -> done.

But when I select the whole table, then I only see the table context menu, which doesn't have any AI options. Also the AI writing button in the editor top menu is inactive when the whole table is selected. 

Anyway, I'd love to discuss this in more detail with you of course. I am based neither in AU nor US, but in EU/Germany - can I still use one of the links provided?

Ethan Yew
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2024

Hi @Stefan Draber, I'm glad to have helped make your experience of providing feedback worthwhile! 

Yeah, there is a bit of nuance with how the table needs to be selected (via a range selection). We need to make this more intuitive and available in the table context menu.

Yes, feel free to use either of the links provided! Our team based in the AU and US can provide those links, but you don't necessarily have to be based there. They're available for your convenience to help find a time that works for you.

Like Stefan Draber likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events