Use a calendar control to filter on start date

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2023

Hi and happy Friday!

Is there a way to filter start date based on a calendar control and if so, how do you do that?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Skyler Ataide
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2023

Hey @Mikael Sandberg

Yes it is possible to filter start date based on a calendar control. The first step is to create your calendar control and save it to your dashboard. Once the calendar control is saved to the dashboard, you can connect it your your chart in the "Filters" section of a visual mode query:

1. In the “Filters” section of your visual mode query:

1. Add the date column you want the control to filter, in this case the start date column.

2. Select the filter operator. Most people use between and including.

3. Reference your control using its dashboard variable:

• If the “Data type” of your control is Date, use {CALENDAR_NAME}

• If the “Data type” of your control is Date range, use {CALENDAR_NAME.START} and {CALENDAR_NAME.END} for the start and end dates, respectively.

• Replace CALENDAR_NAME with the name of your control.

2. Select Run query. The result table will update with the new filter applied to the data.

In my example below, I have a calendar control named 'CALENDAR', and I am using the between and including operator to filter on the start date column for dates that are in the range of my calendar control: 

Filtering_Start_Date.png

Hope this makes sense! Let me know if you have any questions :) 

Skyler Ataide
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2023

For more information, here is our documentation on setting up a calendar control: https://support.atlassian.com/analytics/docs/set-up-a-calendar-control/ 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2023

The start date I am looking for is the custom field Start date that Jira creates, not the start date on the version which I believe is the one you are using above.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 1.36.09 PM.png

Start date from the Project fix version table is empty in this JSM project since it is not using versions:

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 1.42.38 PM.png

Skyler Ataide
Atlassian Team
July 10, 2023

I see, thank you for the clarification! Yes this should also be doable using a Visual SQL "Filter" step. Jira issue custom fields are store in the Issue Field table. Here are the steps to filter on the custom field start dates using a calendar control: 

1. First, write a query that brings in the Jira issues and their respective issue field values. To only get values for the start date field, include a filter in your visual mode query to filter where the "Name" column from the "Issue field" table is equal to 'Start date' Start_date_1.png
  2. Next, use a "Filter" step to filter your results by the calendar control. You can use the syntax {CALENDAR_NAME.START} and {CALENDAR_NAME.END} in the filter step to connect the calendar control; where "CALENDAR_NAME" is replaced with the name of the calendar control on your dashboard: 

Start_date_2.png
Like Ben Jackson likes this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2023

Awesome, thank you so much @Skyler Ataide

Like Skyler Ataide likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events