Roadmap Question: Adminy data?

Richard_Donnell April 21, 2023

Thinking about easier ways to manage\govern instances in Jira with data on Custom Fields definitions, Projects, Issuetypes, stuff like that.  

Is that on the roadmap?

1 answer

0 votes
Tracy Chow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2023

Hi Richard,

Atlassian Data Lake already includes data on the parts of Jira you described - custom fields, projects, issue types, and more. 

You can check out the full schema documentation here: https://support.atlassian.com/analytics/docs/schema-for-jira-family-of-products/.

Let me know if you have further questions.

piotr.x.zyrek May 19, 2023

I think Richard meant to access the dictionaries of these parts (statuses, issue types etc) to better manage them. I am also looking for this.

Now in the schema there are indeed the above parameters, but they refer to the issues in which these parameters were used.

If in my project we have 10 statuses available, and only 3 of them are used then I am not able in the current schema to show which statuses are available in which project.

Like Richard_Donnell likes this
Richard_Donnell May 19, 2023

yeah, exactly this - I am using a combination of analytics and the PowerBI connector plug in (great add on) to get lists of stuff to focus my substantial Jira tidy up campaign. 

Edit: so, for example, it would be good to pull out the data shown on the custom field definition screen in the Administrative section of the tool - what the field looks like, radio buttons, text field etc

Tracy Chow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2023

Thanks for the additional context on your question. The way the Data Lake tables are currently built, only Jira issue types and custom fields etc that are being used are populated in the tables. So while you can identify fields with low usage, you won't be able to identify those with no usage.

I definitely understand your use case though for administrative purposes. Your feedback has been shared with our product and data team to consider for future iterations of the Atlassian Data Lake schema.

Like piotr.x.zyrek likes this
Richard_Donnell May 22, 2023

Hi @Tracy Chow  - thanks for responding. Yes, I am using the Analytics data to identify low usage fields very successfully. I am cross referencing with data from Alpha Serves PowerBI connector to find defined fields with no usage, that tool has a table specifically for the field definition, whereas Analytics, as you point out, is a value based approach, multiple rows containing the individual value of the field linked to the ticket.

Neither tool gives me 100% of the picture, including an understandable definition of the field as displayed on the custom field administration pages.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events