How to combine data from a cascading custom field

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2023

Hi all,

I feel like a newbie all over again trying to figure out Analytics, which is good since I am learning something new. 

I am creating a issue detail chart with issues that are using a custom cascading field to indicate what type of leave it is. Instead of duplicate the rows where the field has two values, how can I combine that into a single value/row?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tracy Chow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2023

Hi Mikael,

It would depend on how you want to format the data in your chart. In my example, I have the data in 3 columns: Issue key (from "Issue" table), Name (from "Issue field"), and Value (from "Issue field"), and I have it filtered to only display my cascading field.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 3.58.03 PM.png

Since the parent and child values of the cascading field are in the same column, I can use a "Pivot" step to separate them into their own columns.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 3.58.52 PM.png

Then I added a "Formula column" step with the following custom formula which concatenates the parent and child values.

"Function (parent)"||" - "||"Function (child)"

This returns the value "Marketing - Email" and you can subsequently hide the original parent and child columns.  

Let me know if this helps, or if you have questions about this approach! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events