Jira Software Sprint table is here!

Sprint data from Jira Software is now available in the Atlassian Data Lake in the “Sprint” and “Issue sprint history” tables!

The "Issue sprint history" table was available during our open beta, but we briefly removed it to improve the data quality before we made it generally available. While there’s still one outstanding data quality issue (more details below), we’re pleased to announce that it’s back.

This data was highly requested as sprints are fundamental to the agile development process and central to how many teams work. We hope these tables are beneficial for your teams and unlock more use cases in Atlassian Analytics for sprint reporting.

Sprint data

With the addition of the “Sprint” table, you'll be able to query information related to your sprints, such as the sprint name and projected start and end dates. Joining data from the “Sprint” table with the “Issue sprint history” table, you can see which Jira issues were added or removed from a sprint.

Learn more about the columns in the “Sprint” table.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.28.06 PM.png

🎥 Check out our video!

Inder, a Product Manager on the Atlassian Analytics team, walks through an example of how to get the number of issues in a particular sprint.

Known issue

There is one data quality issue related to these tables that you should be aware of. For sub-tasks, the value in the Sprint ID column in the Issue sprint history table may have incomplete details about the sprints that the issues were added or removed from, and the sprint IDs may be concatenated into a single record instead of each sprint ID having its own record. This does not affect any other issue type.

We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this issue. Make sure to watch the bug ticket so you’re notified when it's resolved: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ANALYTICS-99

How to get the new tables

For new Data Lake connections that contain Jira Software data, the new sprint tables will automatically be available going forward.

For existing Data Lake connections, an organization admin needs to edit the connections. If the connection already includes Jira Software data, the organization admin can edit the connection and save it without making any changes. Learn more about editing Data Lake connections.

When you create a query and open the schema browser, you’ll see the new tables under the “Jira Software” section. If you don’t see them, try to toggle Show full schema at the bottom of the schema browser.

image-20230726-222724.png

Feel free to leave a comment or contact support if you have any questions. Thanks, everyone!

15 comments

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2023

What a pity that Atlassian Analytics is only available for Enterprise plans. #sadpanda

Ben Jackson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2023

Hi @Dave Mathijs thanks for your response. The Data Lake and Atlassian Analytics is a significant investment which is why its in Enterprise Edition. 

Do you think customers who aren't eligible for Enterprise edition would like the opportunity to purchase it separately?

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2023

Thanks for your reply @Ben Jackson . I surely understand that such a platform is a significant investment. After all, Atlassian needs an ROI on the purchase of Chartio in 2021.

I was expecting an uplift of the standard reports offered in Jira Software and Jira Service Management.

Just compare Atlassian Analytics to this:

Create report

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 06.57.17.png

Created vs Resolved

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 07.03.52.png

You have to admit that the Reports section in Jira (JSW & JSM) has been neglected for many many years without any development. This is a UI from the Server/Data Center years. I would at least expect the features of a third-party app like Custom Charts for Jira Reports out-of-the box.

As a 'Standard' or 'Premium' customer, I would expect more templates and a more user-friendly way of creating a new report.

Sorry to go off-topic from this announcement, it is absolutely not my intention to minimize the great work Atlassian has been doing with Analytics.

And to answer your question: Yes, having the opportunity to buy Analytics as a separate app for Premium customers would be a first step.

Thanks for your understanding.

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2023

It is not even possible to evaluate Analytics unless you are on an Enterprise plan :(

Ben Jackson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2023

Thanks for your clarification @Dave Mathijs we are bringing some uplift from our investments in Chartio to address the current in-product reporting and dashboards. Stay tuned :) 

Like # people like this
Shraddha July 31, 2023

Any idea on how to get Story points completed Vs Committed in a given sprint?

Inder Singh
Atlassian Team
August 21, 2023

@Shraddha We will be launching a dashboard template for Jira sprints shortly, and it will have burndown/burnup charts that you can reference. Stay tuned for updates!

Like # people like this
Params September 6, 2023

When we can expect the launch of Jira Sprint dashboard template ? It will be more helpful for our organization. 

Like Shraddha likes this
Inder Singh
Atlassian Team
September 18, 2023

@Shraddha @Params : Sprint overview dashboard template is now live. You can learn more about it here.

Params September 18, 2023

@Inder Singh  - Thank you. Will go through the new dashboard. 

Like Inder Singh likes this
Shraddha October 19, 2023

@Inder Singhcan you provide link or screen shot of where the new Sprint Overview dashboard is available in Analytics?

never mind i found it :0

Like Inder Singh likes this
Steven Drury November 7, 2023

Hey @Inder Singh !

I had a use case for this a few weeks back but couldn't get it to work. Your video got close to what I needed and I could use it with the in-built template but the cross-join gives me > 1 million rows. 

Basically, I was trying to determine which issues were added to a sprint and then removed. In other words, work that was committed but then not delivered. Maybe something for a future template :) 

Thanks,
Steve

Inder Singh
Atlassian Team
November 7, 2023

Hi @Steven Drury : The "Jira software - Sprint overview" template has a chart called "Sprint scope change" that shows issues that were added or removed during a sprint (as count of issues or sum of story points). This will help you visualize scope change during a sprint.Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 7.05.24 PM.png

If you want to know which issues were added or removed, you can use the table at the bottom of the template called "Sprint actions and issue status changes". This table shows status changes of all issues in a sprint as well as when they were added or removed from a sprint. In the table search box, you can type "scope change" to only show the issues that were added or removed during a sprint. See the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 7.08.55 PM.png

Let me know if this is what you are looking for. You can also create a support ticket if you want further assistance in creating queries.

Cheers,

Inder

Like # people like this
Steven Drury November 8, 2023

Thanks @Inder Singh

The sprint actions and issue status changes chart was the one that I was using to try to solve the issue. I was trying to look at changes for multiple sprints in multiple projects and the result table just became too big with the cross join. In the end it wasn't worth pursuing, but I appreciate your response. 

Inder Singh
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2023

@Steven Drury Multi-sprint templates (chart and/or dashboard) is something we will definitely take as a feedback. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events