Faster query performance for 4 major Jira tables !

What’s coming

One of the biggest requested improvements for Atlassian Analytics is faster dashboard loading times. We want to assure you that we’ve heard your feedback and have been exploring options to make improvements. As our first effort to address performance concerns, we’re introducing efficiency changes to the following four Jira tables that are most commonly queried when creating charts:

• jira_issue

• jira_issue_cycle_time

• jira_issue_status_history

• jira_project

As a result, you should experience significant performance improvements when you query these tables. For example, our “Flow metrics” dashboard templates for Jira Software heavily use these tables for their charts, so you’ll find that these dashboards will load much faster!

Impacts on data freshness

With these changes, we’ve prioritized performance and efficiency when building charts and dashboards. As a consequence, it will now take up to 8 hours for data to refresh in these tables. We understand this delay may not be ideal for some of your operational workflows. The trade-offs between speed and data freshness make these types of decisions a challenge, but we appreciate your patience as we work to address these issues one at a time.

When to expect these changes

We aim to roll out the improved tables on September 12, 2023.

Leave a comment or contact support if you have any thoughts, questions, or concerns about this change.

2 comments

Coltin Rose September 6, 2023

Hey Atlassian team!

I would like to voice my thoughts/concerns on this.

I have bolstered the lack of lag on the analytics products as a selling point for adoption, with that said, I would like to propose or recommend a balance between the two or give us a toggle for us decide for ourselves if we favor data freshness over query performance.

In my view I see this something similar to the windows laptops that let you select between balanced, high performance, battery saver.

Thanks in advance for reviewing!

Like Vivek Balasubramanian likes this
Tina Ling
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2023

Hi Coltin,

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestion. We'll consider this as we evaluate options to cover more use cases. In the meantime, we announced today that we've reduced the delay in data freshness to 3-6 hours for the 4 affected tables.

We'll continue to make improvements and we're always open to hearing any more suggestions you have.

Best, Tina

Like Coltin Rose likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events