Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimize Billing - Splitting users?

David Zack June 10, 2021

Hello - Quick question on how to optimize my costs with Atlassiam.

We are an SME with about 150 employees.

Right now, we have about 90 folks that use Confluence.

Another 30 or so who use JIRA.

And then a very small group of people, 15 or less, that use tools like Tempo Timesheets, Actionable Agile, Jira Misc Workflow Extensions, ScriptRunner, Jira Software (Cloud) Standard, draw.io Diagrams, Structure - Project Management, Cucumber for Jira.

The issue is everyone who is using Confluence gets charged for all the other tools even though we do not use them.

What is the best way to optimize my costs? Should I create one instance and limit it only to Confluence users? And then create another seperate instance that uses all the other tools?

I really wish we could "pick and choose" what users to add to each tool and only get billed for those users. Thanks for any ideas you have here.

2 answers

0 votes
David Benson [draw.io]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2021

Just to clarify in the case of draw.io, the cost of draw.io is based on the assumption that around 10% of users are active users. 15 of 90 is in that ballpark.

Your case should work out roughly as the price you'd expect for a complex SaaS tool per month.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

There's no way to do this - every app has to be licenced at the level that supports all your users.  (With most of the ones you've named, it would be impossible to do it anyway - for example, what would you do if you had a scripted post-function or a jmwe condition on a transition that someone not licenced to use it went into an issue where the workflow applied?  They're using the apps...)

David Zack June 11, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  - Thanks for your answer. Is the follwoing not an option as well?

• Most of the folks who use Confluence are not doing any technical work or software development work.
  • Could I not create one cloud instance of "Conflucne Only" for those folks? Again - this is for pure, non-technical documentation.
  • And then create a seperate instance - on a new account - for the smaller team that uses the other tools and does actual development?
  • I could either have everyone share the Confluence account or have two seperate instances of Confluence? I am not bothered on how we split Confluence as the two use cases are different.

If everyone was developing code or using JIRA I can see why we would want to keep all tools available to everyone.

But our main and driving Confluence use case is seperate from our development use case and in theory there is no reason for these to be joined up.

So my thinking is to create two seperate accounts / payments that are not joined to optimize my costs?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2021

>Most of the folks who use Confluence are not doing any technical work or software development work.

But they're still using Confluence, and its apps.

>Could I not create one cloud instance of "Conflucne Only" for those folks? Again - this is for pure, non-technical documentation.

Yes, you can.  And if you go this route, I'd look at apps that can synchronise or publish pages from one Confluence to another

>And then create a seperate instance - on a new account - for the smaller team that uses the other tools and does actual development?

Yep, as above

>I could either have everyone share the Confluence account or have two seperate instances of Confluence? I am not bothered on how we split Confluence as the two use cases are different.

Yes, you can, and your second Confluence can be licenced for the usage your users need.  You can use the same accounts on both and even set up SSO so people don't have to log in twice, but you will need two licences, one for each Confluence install.

Like David Zack likes this
David Zack June 20, 2021

Thank you for this - this is what I was looking to confirm / understand.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events