Maintenance window for global clients

Ursan Sachdeva May 9, 2017

Just wondering someone might be able to help me with a question regarding maintenance windows. We have offices in different parts of the world (AU and US) which are nearly 12 hours apart in time and when it is night time in one location, it is peak office time in another. Our server time is set to AU timezone which also defines our maintenance windows. However, this causes disruptions to Confluence/Jira usage in the US office as it is daytime there. Has anyone else experienced a similar kind of issues with Atlassian and what other options are there for the maintenance window setup?

1 answer

0 votes
Marcelo Horlle
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2017

Hey Ursan,

I think that if you are looking for a maintenance window that wouldn't bring much harm to all of your users in both countries, then you could do it between 6PM and 10PM, Sydney Time. This would be something between 3AM and 7AM in Austin, for instance. I believe tha the number of users at this time wouldn't be on peak at all, allowing you to run the needed maintenances.

The cities I user above are just examples, but to help you on this quest, paste your two cities on World Time Buddy and look for a timestamp of lower peak for both of them and them choose it as your maintenance window. I know it is not easy, due to the time difference between cities, but I am sure that you can find a suitable time to do that.

Another thing that companies usually do is to host a server in each of these countries, so you can run maintenance on them without affecting anyone.

Hope it helps, have a great week ahead!

Ankit Arora February 18, 2019

@Marcelo Horlle you mentioned "Another thing that companies usually do is to host a server in each of these countries, so you can run maintenance on them without affecting anyone."

For a JIRA cloud Instance, how can we host a server in 2 separate countries?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events