Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 24h limit to changing email address, should not apply if the user is entering the same email

Fabregas4 February 13, 2020

I've been struggling to change the email address on my personal (not this one) Atlassian account, from OLD EMAIL to NEW EMAIL.

When I try to change to NEW EMAIL, it sends an email to confirm. But the confirmation email says "Your email change request could not be processed because  NEW EMAIL is already associated with another Atlassian account". I don't recall using it but I guess it must have happened some time in the past, like maybe a Login With Microsoft for convenience and I forgot which account I was on.

Anyway I tried this a couple of times, before finally logging in to my Atlassian with NEW EMAIL, and changing THAT that to a 3rd email, so I could finally free up NEW EMAIL to be used on my primary OLD EMAIL account.

I succeeded, but then when I logged into OLD EMAIL account to change it to NEW EMAIL, it says I reached the email change limit and to try again in 24h.

I understand the need for securing accounts, but I only ever tried changing to ONE new email, so it's not like I was trying to abuse your system. When someone asks you to send a confirmation email and they use the same email, it shouldn't count to your anti-abuse limit like it was a different change request every time.

This is bad, it reminds me of those horrible "you tried to login with the wrong password too often, account locked" security mechanisms, where you get locked out even though you tried the same password all 3 times because you weren't sure you were typing it properly. It should count as 1 failed login, not 3.

Just venting cause I'm locked out until tomorrow.

1 comment

Deleted user February 7, 2023

So terrible. Same experience

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events