User management for cloud admins just got easier

144 comments

Dean January 21, 2021

Great article, very easy to understand the changes coming and I like the new look of the group and user management.

Is it possible to start to see the changes before June (as an existing customer)?  

Like Gonchik Tsymzhitov likes this
ajay kumar January 21, 2021

Great enhancements , really like this centralized user administration. 

Mazen El-Badrawy January 22, 2021

Wanted to ask if if I can have multiple instance for one product aiming to have some employees like standard and some premium for jira software for example not having all of them standard or premium

irina.korik January 26, 2021

Hi @Kieren are you planing any changes on the Landing product setting? Currently it is either Jira or Confluence across all the users and groups which is not very convenient for our use cases.  I need the new users from Group 1 to land on Jira and users from group 2 to land on Confluence. As a digital agency we run multiple projects with various user groups that include customers, employees, and vendors. For the new project I might need employees and vendors to land on Jira, but customers to land on Confluence. It would be really helpful if I can specify this on the group level when setting up the new user group.

Patrick Nelson January 26, 2021

@Kieren you should address Bitbucket directly in the article. As it is right now, it's somewhat confusing as the expectation (and concern) that I had was that it'd unify Bitbucket somehow. The details that I was interested in (i.e. that Bitbucket wasn't yet affected, despite the prominent messaging about "unification") was not at all visible until you manually click through the second page of comments (which aren't fully visible/searchable using CTRL+F because it's broken up).

Like # people like this
Kieren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2021

Thanks for the feedback @Patrick Nelson, I've updated the article to include that.

Like Gonchik Tsymzhitov likes this
Stephan Grubbe Sølby January 27, 2021

@Kieren Can I change group names (not descriptions) when the change occurs? 

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

@Kieren - the article doesn't seem to mention Bitbucket yet, have you published the edit yet? Just checking :)

Like Kieren likes this
Ben Lemond January 27, 2021

Will this feature be extended to provide the ability to manage individual user access to third-party apps?

Marie-Josee Parent January 28, 2021

Pourquoi Juin 2021 pour les membres déjà dans le système, quand même loin si déjà dispo pour les nouveaux clients &

Kieren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2021
@Mazen El-Badrawy - Yes, you can do this by adding two of the same product, and only upgrading one. Obviously though, the data from JSW1 will not be visible in JSW2.
@irina.korik - We are planning changes to the landing product setting, but not on the initial release, and I don't have a ETA for you yet.
@Stephan Grubbe Sølby - We're also working on this, but it won't be ready when we launch. Also no ETA sorry.
@Ben Lemond - No, there are no immediate plans extend this to manage individual user access to third-party apps. We are designing this with the intent to bring all Atlassian product access into one place, in theory it could happen, but no promises.
@Marie-Josee Parent - From our perspective, it's easy to introduce this new experience to new customers. It's much more work to migrate existing customers data and ensure it works with the new experience, there are a lot of tests and edge cases to check :)
Like Marie-Josee Parent likes this
grisha-chasovskih February 24, 2021

Will be great if you add official user management portal for vacations, day offs, sick leave etc. And with integration with time management or time tracking.

Guy Shachar March 9, 2021

Looks good, looking forward for the upgrade!

Jason Harwood March 25, 2021

On one hand I am glad that the user and admin management is getting an overhaul, but this has created a real problem for us at the moment. 

Upon being forced to migrate all our 7 users (under a 10 license agreement) from Statuspage.io over to our Atlassian instance, our admins are now included as users of Statuspage and any time I want to add an admin, I cannot without increasing our license for Statuspage. 

This has now triggered an entire review of our admin permissions... not very happy with this at all. I am optimistic that the new Admin Management changes above are going to help me resolve this issue. Time will tell I guess

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2021

Nice work, Atlassian and thanks for posting Kieren! Love the new UI ... 2 questions - would this be rolled out on cloud for everyone by June or will it be opt-in-able - ie. can we opt to see it before it is rolled out to us? And what is the plan on managing users, groups, products and interactions inbetween these via the API. If we have a connect app - when can we manage staff on and off boarding via the App, etc? Thank you

Fabrice Huart - NSI
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

Hi @Kieren ,

In your answer of January to a question regarding "Site Admin" effects, you mention that a post will be published later.

As this change will happens in two weeks, can you please specify when the post will be available for us to take actions if needed ? We receive a lot of question about this and impacts and we are not able to answer yet.

Effectsiteadmin.png

Best regards,

Fabrice

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2021

@Kieren , it would be great to have a webinar to cover this change and allow for Q&A.

Like # people like this
Deleted user July 8, 2021

Hi Atlassian Team, in an email about this change back in January that linked to this article, we were informed that an upcoming change on June 1st would mean that site admins would lose user management privileges: 

Screenshot 2021-07-08 101254.png

However, it appears that site admins for our organization still have user management privileges. Am I misunderstanding the implications of the change, or has the change date been delayed? 

Like # people like this
Kieren
Atlassian Team
August 18, 2021

@Fabrice Huart - NSI , @Yatish Madhav , @[deleted] 

The rollout was delayed, we'll send an email to customers a month before we intend to migrate them to the new experience.

Right now, we intend to migrate the first customers on 22nd September 2021, through to about December 2021.

@Jack Brickey Great idea! I'll organise something with the next blog post about the new admin roles.

Like # people like this
Daniel Armenta August 22, 2021

Me gusta mucho

Joseph Blasi August 27, 2021

Will this / new admin roles change any API's and to test new API's will you need to make and new org?

Steven Mustari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2021

Thank you for this information. Looks to be more intuitive.

Mark Thompson August 27, 2021

How can I try this out to provide feedback without rolling my site over to the new product.  I want the ability to try it using the Jira Labs option so I can give feedback but be able to go back if it doesn't work.  

Do you understand your customer base at all?  You're going to give this to new users who don't currently have a complex system set up and get their feedback. How are they going to encounter the problems your existing base will see?  How do I get this tied to Jira Labs so I can look at it before it is thrust upon me.

Joseph Blasi August 27, 2021

Will site admins just lose access at anytime?

WIll they get auto added to the new roles?

Will they need to become ORG admins just so that don't lose access at an random time?

And 1 month IN DEC IS BAD. Unless users keep the same access.

Nicholas Molina August 27, 2021

Please add Bitbucket to Atlassian Admin.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events