User management for cloud admins just got easier

144 comments

Ma.Rebecca de la Gente January 15, 2021

These changes can be helpful and more convenient. Thank you 

Dimitri Rupp January 16, 2021

Finally, we are getting somewhere!

Our products have to be not only available for information management, but they also have to provide clear and user-friendly structured information in every page in itself. 

To build the combination of informative AND simplicity is the hardest to do for software developers, but it differentiates your product from all the others on the market. Therefore, my recommendation would be: become a master in the most hardest and most difficult part of software development and design: "useful simplicity"!

These improvements shown here are proof that it is possible! And this is great to see!
:)

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2021

@Kieren  That's very very good feature! 

Any plans to share the technical background of that, please? 

dgranzow January 17, 2021

Hi,

I have got a question regarding the new roles for admin users.

I have a Confluence cloud instance with one admin user. I am currently only using this instance and no other Atlassian product. I have checked the user management page and it says Site and Org Admin. Is this already the correct configuration or do I have to change anything else to keep the user management privileges in the future? user-management-confluence.png

Maxim Lemeshko January 17, 2021

Good news!

Gregory Johnson January 17, 2021

Managing permissions has been a consistent pain point.  This is the step in the right direction.  I hope that specifically to JIRA that we can now get more fidelity on how access can be split out (ie: separating permission to edit workflows from creating a version).  Keep up the great work.

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 17, 2021

When will this page (https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/give-users-admin-permissions-964957877.html) be updated?

Please confirm that after this change, site admins will be able to:

• Access the site's Admin at https://admin.atlassian.com.
  • Make other users site or product admins.
  • Site settings so that it displays your company's branding and image.

And the other two existing permissions relating to users, groups, and products will be granted to org admins only.

Jürgen Strauß _A3_ January 17, 2021

The effect to this change is unclear. In my mail you told me that i will loose my site admin privilege. No word about this here. What of both is true?

Like # people like this
David Hayward January 17, 2021

No doubt a real boon to those who spend their whole day adding users to Atlassian products, but with all the outstanding suggestions and possible improvements I do wonder why you chose to improve the lives of a handful of users for what (in my case) is a fraction of their duties. Feels more like an internally driven enhancement than one driven by need.

Like Zoltan Farago likes this
Zoltan Farago January 17, 2021

This worked so far. Instead of wasting your time on this, you should work on the add-on pricing....

Michal Vrany January 17, 2021

Hello,

how this refactoring will interact with third party SSO like Okta that my company is using?

At first I was really confused by the news and certainly need more clarification since I believe at some atlassian cloud I had information about the access being managed by third party which I believe either disappeared or don't know what is happening.

MV

William Giraud January 18, 2021

The management will be really simplified I think! 

Like Heydi Menéndez likes this
Nigel Rheam January 18, 2021

Like others commenting here, my biggest concern is to ask if this is finally going to allow us to integrate the user management and billing for BitBucket; which as far as I recall one of your team told me was bought up by Atlassian in 2010... and has still not been properly integrated into your platform more than a decade later.

Like Richard Arpáš likes this
jeremy.norwood January 18, 2021

As others have commented, please can you clarify what the strategy is with regards to integrating the admin of BitBucket into the main Atlassian admin architecture.

Åse Nordberg January 18, 2021

Hi, What filtering options do you plan to add to the new user page list?

Francisco Javier Solís Olid January 18, 2021

Great change! The only disadvantage is that we have to wait until June to see the changes. Is it possible to have it in short term?

Laura Mosqueira January 18, 2021

It looks much more clearer!

Thanks!

Reinier January 18, 2021

This looks awesome. I do hope that Bitbucket will be joining this management soon and maybe even more important "be able to merge accounts into one". see ticket ID-240.

Daniel Spindler January 18, 2021

Just echoing same questions as others around bitbucket - will this integrate bitbucket permissions or not? Quite a pain to have bitbucket separate.

Amit.Jaggi@macquarie.com January 18, 2021

Thanks for sharing. Where can we get the latest API's for the Cloud Crowd User Management?

thisisnimish3 thisisnimish3 January 18, 2021

This seems a change in UI only. Is anything going to change in the public REST APIs?

Like # people like this
Dan H January 19, 2021

Looking forward to these changes coming into effect  :)

My only additional request on the User Management page, would be to include a 'Dates' filter which allows us to easily view all the users who have been active in a time period (last 3, 6, 12 months, etc) OR to view those who have not been active in the time period.

This would allow us Admins to very quickly & easily sort out all Users who no longer need a Jira account (e.g. have left the company) or those which have yet to accept the invite but we continue to be charged for them.

Thank you

Like # people like this
Heydi Menéndez January 19, 2021

Nice!!

I think it will improve the ways of managing  JIra, more information availabe in many diferent instances . Its a good one!

Kieren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2021

Thanks everyone for the comments and feedback! The team really appreciates hearing them.

I’ll try and answer as many questions as I can, apologies if I’ve missed some.

Will this change impact/affect Bitbucket Cloud user management?

@Patrick Chen and many others who asked - Initially no, this will only impact Jira Software, Jira Service Management, Jira Core, Confluence, Statuspage and Opsgenie. But Bitbucket Cloud will be our next focus to integrate into admin.atlassian.com.

Can we opt out of this? We don't want users across multiple products to be consolidated.

@jgonzalves - It is possible to opt out temporarily, but eventually all customers will be migrated to the new UI. If you currently have multiple sites connected to the same organisation, you are able to avoid consolidation by moving your sites to separate organisations.

Will this feature be extended to provide the ability to manage individual user access to third-party apps?

@Ben Lemond - No, there are no immediate plans extend this to manage individual user access to third-party apps. We are designing this with the intent to bring all Atlassian product access into one place, in theory it could happen, but no promises.

Is it possible to opt-in to the new user management experience earlier?

@Dave Liao - Yes, but it’s unlikely to be a significantly earlier than most existing customers (maybe a month early?). I’ll email anyone who likes your comment with more details.

Great change! The only disadvantage is that we have to wait until June to see the changes. Is it possible to have it in short term?

@Francisco Javier Solís Olid - After it’s available to all new customers you’ll be able to signup for a new organisation and test it out if you want. We’ll roll out slowly to a small random percentage of new customers, so you might not get lucky until around March.

Great, so what's the current intended way of using Confluence/Jira with a managed company account, and at the same time using Bitbucket Cloud with a personal account?

The goal is to integrate all three services together, allow my team members to keep using their personal account with BitBucket and the managed account with Confluence/Jira, without having to switch between the two accounts all the time.

@Jan Klan - This new experience won’t make your team members lives any easier unfortunately. They’ll still be able to use their company managed account with Confluence/Jira and their personal accounts with Bitbucket. This change won’t improve account switching.

I have a Confluence cloud instance with one admin user. I am currently only using this instance and no other Atlassian product. I have checked the user management page and it says Site and Org Admin. Is this already the correct configuration or do I have to change anything else to keep the user management privileges in the future? user-management-confluence.png

@dgranzow - Yes, this is already the correct configuration. You’ll switch seamlessly!

The effect to this change is unclear. In my mail you told me that i will loose my site admin privilege. No word about this here. What of both is true?

@Jürgen Strauß _A3_ - A separate post will be made outlining the change to Site admins and the introduction of new admin roles.

No doubt a real boon to those who spend their whole day adding users to Atlassian products, but with all the outstanding suggestions and possible improvements I do wonder why you chose to improve the lives of a handful of users for what (in my case) is a fraction of their duties. Feels more like an internally driven enhancement than one driven by need.

@David Hayward - While this change may seem like only an update to the UI, we’ve made significant changes in the backend that were necessary to unblock other larger changes we have planned and better integrate the entire suite of Atlassian products. As examples, this will have a big impact on getting https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-6677 and https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-126 complete (finally!).

This seems a change in UI only. Is anything going to change in the public REST APIs?

@thisisnimish3 thisisnimish3 - This is another example of something that will be easier to provide after these changes are rolled out, thanks to the backend improvements made. But I can’t commit to a date when the public REST APIs will be available yet, sorry.

how this refactoring will interact with third party SSO like Okta that my company is using?

@Michal Vrany - Nothing will change with the Atlassian Access product, SSO or SCIM. Okta and our other supported identity providers will work the same way they currently do.

Hi, What filtering options do you plan to add to the new user page list?

@Åse Nordberg - Is nothing allowed to be a surprise anymore?? 😅

You can filter by user role, user status and products the users have access to. The filter is designed to be more extendable than our previous one, so hopefully it will be able to keep up with future changes!

Like # people like this
dgranzow January 20, 2021

Hi @Kieren thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions. I very much appreciated that. Best Regards!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events