User management for cloud admins just got easier

January 24, 2024 Update

We are continuing migrations for single-site organizations in February 2024. For full details on the migration, please see our latest post.

Banner.pngWhat's changing?

To greatly improve ease of use for admins managing multiple products in their organization for Atlassian Cloud sites, we're excited to introduce centralized user management via our admin hub. For phase one, all new customers across all plans – Free, Standard, Premium, and Enterprise – will see a change to admin page designs and access these pages from a new location in Atlassian admin hub. The change will affect the:

• User list page
  • User details page
  • Groups page
  • Product access page

Later, in phase two, we'll make these changes available to all existing customers.

Initially, this new experience will only be available for Jira Software, Jira Service Management, Jira Core, Confluence, Opsgenie and Statuspage cloud products. It will not include Bitbucket or Trello.

admin.atlassian.com is the center of your cloud admin world. It's the one location where you manage your Atlassian Cloud places, products, and people. When you need to manage users and their access, find and add services, apply security policies, or check usage and billing, then visit your admin hub – it's all there!

Why is Atlassian doing this?

We're making the administration of Atlassian Cloud products better and starting to centralize user management across all our products.

We want your admin hub experience to be:

• Simple - it’s hard enough to manage all your users across all your systems, we want to make sure it’s simple for Atlassian products.
  • Fast - you'll easily be able to find the tasks you need, and perform them lightning fast.
  • Scalable - whether it’s 10 or 10,000 users you’re managing, we want the admin hub experience to work for you.
  • Expandable - you'll be able to add products as you need them, without having to learn a whole new admin interface.

The new user list page

The new user list will contain all your users across all the Atlassian products connected to your organization. Compared with the previous design, we've summarized information about your users (such as the number of active users and admins), made it easier to use filters, and simplified the user status.

User list.png

A simpler user details page

The details page for each user provides richer information about their account. We've made it easier to identify which user you’re looking at and clearly see which products they have access to across all the products connected to your organization.

User details.png

Simplified invitations

We made some changes to simplify the invitation page too and allowed you to select any role you like for any product in your organization.

Invite drawer.png

The new group list page

The new design for the group list page provides more information on each group, such as a members count and a list of products the groups grants access to.

Group list.png

A richer group details page

The group details page will now show more information on which products the group grants access to, as well as the product access roles assigned to users. You can also perform more actions here, such as adding and removing product access for the group and updating your group members.

Group details.png

Simpler product access

The previous product access screen was getting too hard to use, so we’ve simplified it and aligned it to the group pages! You now have a clear list of products, and you can add new products if you need. On the new product details page, you can see which groups are used within the product, alter those groups, and launch quick filters in the user list. This new design also removes the complexity and distraction of other product setups.

Product details.png

What do I need to do?

You don't need to do anything! These changes will happen in the background, with no interruption to service.

When will this happen?

New customers who signup after January 18th 2021 will start seeing these changes, and existing customers will start seeing changes from June 2021 onwards.

Tell us what you think

We'd love to get feedback about these changes. Influence the future of Atlassian Cloud by using the Give feedback link in the admin area of your site!

Update - 2021/12/17

There's now a related blog post on the change to admin roles.

144 comments

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

New View is really looking Great.

I like users page list first.

where i can see total number of users , active , admin users.

Thanks for the improvements 

Like # people like this
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2021

It looks much more clearer, thanks :)

Like # people like this
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2021

Hi @Kieren ,

This looks really great! Nice article. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Like # people like this
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2021

Simply Love it...

Like # people like this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2021

Hi @Kieren 

Great Article, many thank for sharing with us

Cheers

Like # people like this
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2021

Hi @Kieren

just a short question for better understanding.

Is the change described in this article corresponding (^=identical) with the update in Roadmap?

I am referring specifically to this one:
grafik.png

If it should not be the case, is there some documentation available as to the mentioned "Multi-instance enterprise environments" update from Roadmap?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers,
Daniel

Like # people like this
Kieren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2021

Hi @Daniel Ebers

Good question! No, the User Management change is not related. This roadmap item relates to the release of the Enterprise Plan for products (e.g. https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/enterprise).

But, the User Management change will help make the administration of multi-instance products much easier :)

Regards,

-Kieren

Like # people like this
Patrick Chen January 15, 2021

Will this change impact/affect Bitbucket Cloud user management? The Bitbucket Cloud user management is very painful to use and almost entirely segregated from the rest of Atlassian Cloud except for the user object. 

Like # people like this
Chris Demiris January 15, 2021

Great to see, user management across products has been a pain, hopefully will apply to Bitbucket as well.

Like # people like this
Michael Holian January 15, 2021

it would be great if they could work in Group Administrator as a role at the same time!

Like Kadir SELÇUK likes this
carlosgamito-dvt January 15, 2021

Hello,

Will this change include Bitbucket Cloud user management?

Regards

Like # people like this
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2021

Anything that saves me clicks is a win! Looking great. 

Ankur Bhargava Takeda January 15, 2021

Hi @Kieren 

We have a diff use case not sure if this was considered.

We have 4K+ users within Atlassian Org spread across 10+ sites. However these sites are not part of the org, and just share the SSO feature of the org.

So my question is will the site admins of their respective site loose ability of managing their users, and now all 4k+ users will have to be managed by the one site who is having org admins.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2021

Thanks @Kieren!  I love the looks of these changes and can't wait to see them live!

Bill Evans January 15, 2021

Typical Atlassian, the site is still incredibly confusing. The "instructions" are meaningless. 

"Org Admin" is not a selectable status anywhere that is obvious. The instructions are pretty clear that people without it will lose access, but gives no guidance whatsoever on how to add that status.

There is a button in the email "Add org admins", which is the only apparent way to add an org admin. I suppose you think I should keep this email forever, in case I ever need to add another org admin?

Really, I think your designers are the ones who couldn't hack it at Google (which are the ones who couldn't hack it at Microsoft, which are the ones who couldn't hack it at Apple).

I find myself dreading every time I have to do something on your site. If you want to improve things, start with a clean slate, design what the interactions would be if they made sense in a vacuum (with no Jira baggage), and implement that. Backwards compatibility with crap is still crap.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2021

Actually @Bill Evans I would disagree with you.  It "used to be" much harder to find the location to add Org Admins.  But Atlassian has made it much easier.

From the main organization page, you select the "Settings" option from the top navigation, then "Administrators" in the left hand menu on the next page.

This is how you add organization administrators.

AdminPage.PNG

Like # people like this
Srikanth Ganipisetty January 15, 2021

Good News! No complaints, delays in Onboarding users, and providing day-to-day privilege access. 

Thanks for sharing the article.

Srikanth Ganipisetty

jgonzalves January 15, 2021

Can we opt out of this? We don't want users across multiple products to be consolidated. 

Like Mark Thompson likes this
Ben Lemond January 15, 2021

Will this feature be extended to provide the ability to manage individual user access to third-party apps?

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2021

@Kieren - is it possible to opt-in to the new user management experience earlier?

Like # people like this
Nathalie Bertrand January 15, 2021

New View is really looking great.

Ivanchenko Iurii January 15, 2021

Dear Atlassian team, you are AWESOME!

Marakai January 15, 2021

I like it, but for some reason my Bitbucket account is still separate and there's no obvious way that I can see to move it under the org.

Like # people like this
Ivanchenko Iurii January 15, 2021

@Marakai I've got the same problem. Hope new access control method resolve this.

Like # people like this
Jan Klan January 15, 2021

Great, so what's the current intended way of using Confluence/Jira with a managed company account, and at the same time using Bitbucket Cloud with a personal account?

The goal is to integrate all three services together, allow my team members to keep using their personal account with BitBucket and the managed account with Confluence/Jira, without having to switch between the two accounts all the time.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events