How To: Atlassian Access - Change the email address of a user (Managed & Unmanaged accounts)

This guide will walk you through the process of changing the email address for managed users within your Atlassian Cloud organization. This will also cover how to, as an Organization Administrator, make suggested changes to the email address for unmanaged users that access Atlassian products within your Atlassian organization.

For your convenience, there is a video version of this guide at the bottom of this article this will show you how to follow these steps. Also, each of the headings are hyperlinked to the specific time interval in the companion video where that topic is covered.

Before you begin, there are some things you will need or assumptions I will be making about what you have access to change as a part of this tutorial. If you don’t have the ability to change or update something that is included in this guide you will either need to find someone that has the ability to perform certain steps or can give you the access you need to perform those steps.

Prerequisites:

• You are going to need to be an Atlassian Organization Administrator for you Atlassian Cloud Organization.

• You will need to have invited (managed or unmanaged users) to use Atlassian products within the organization you wish to manage.

• In order to modify managed users, you will need to have already verified your domain and claimed your domain accounts. (Follow this guide if you haven’t completed that step yet)

• Note: This guide is NOT relevant for anyone that has user provisioning enabled for SSO authentication. You will want to make email address changes in your third party identity provider which will synchronize via Atlassian Access.

Suggesting Email Changes for Unmanaged Account:

Much like the name implies, Organization Admins do not have direct control over unmanaged users. They do have the ability to see who the unmanaged users are that are using Atlassian products for the sites they manage, and they can “suggest“ changes to the name and email address of unmanaged users.

Why might you want to do this?

• To request the user change their email address to a company domain email that would become managed.

• To request the user change their name to a standard convention for unmanaged users.

How do you accomplish this?

• First, you will need to get to the Atlassian Organization Admin page, which you can do by navigating to https://admin.atlassian.com, then selecting the Organization you wish to manage.

• Next, you will want to navigate to the Directory → Users menu options
    ChangeEmail_DirectoryUsers.JPG

• Next, click on the “Show details“ for the user you which to suggest changes.

• In the new page that shows up, on the left hand side you will see the user’s profile with a “Suggest changes“ button at the bottom. Click this to open a popup dialog box.
    ChangeEmail_SuggestChanges.JPG

• In the dialog box, enter your suggested changes to either the user’s name or email address, then click the submit button.
    ChangeEmail_SuggestChangesPopup.JPG

• This will send the user an email where they have the option to choose to accept or ignore your suggestions.

Changing the Email Address for a Managed Account:

Why you might want to do this?

• User has changed their name and needs their account to reflect this change.

• Your company username policies have changed and an you need to update accounts to match the new standard.

How do you accomplish this?

• First, you will need to get to the Atlassian Organization Admin page, which you can do by navigating to https://admin.atlassian.com, then selecting the Organization you wish to manage.

• Next, you will want to navigate to the Directory → Users menu options
    ChangeEmail_DirectoryUsers.JPG

• Next, click on the “Show details“ for the user you which to change.

• In the new page that shows up, on the left hand side you will see the user’s profile with an “Update details“ button at the bottom. Click this to open a more detailed view of the user’s profile.
    ChangeEmail_UpdateDetails.JPG

• On this page, click in the field you which to change, such as the user’s email address. Make the change and click the checkmark button.

• NOTE: the user will need to verify the change if you update their email address.

14 comments

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2022

Wow, @Jimmy Seddon , great format: read & watch!

thanks for your work! 🤟

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2022

👍 A+++++ article. Very necessary.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2022

Thank you both!

@Alexander Bondarev I need to give credit to @Stephen Sifers, it was his idea to add the hyperlinked titles!

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
Leslie H April 27, 2022

The change or suggest change to email is not shown within the details as an option on our cloud managed users.  

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2022

Hi @Leslie H,

Is it possible that your company has user provisioning turned on?  That is the only thing I can think of immediately that might cause you not to be able to see the details of the managed users. 

Leslie H April 27, 2022

We manually provision.   The option is just no longer shown on from the users login and from the admin side its not available as a suggestion any longer either.  I have a support ticket open now.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2022

Sorry to hear you are having issues.  I was going to suggest a support ticket next as I'm not seeing the same results you are.  I hope you get the issue resolved soon!

Like # people like this
ChristineA August 1, 2022

Hi
How do we change the email address of an unmanaged account, whose current email address is not accessible by the user anymore?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2022

That is a good question that I don't know the answer to since you can never change the email address of an unmanaged user.  You can only make suggestions to them which they have the option to accept or reject.  But, if you can't access that email address you might want to speak with the admin of the email domain to help get you access to the email account again.

Like Christine Absil likes this
Yousef Qasem September 19, 2022

Hi Jimmy,

Our company was acquired and we want to change our emails logins to match the new company without losing users history. What is the best method to do that? Our accounts are managed by Okta but the new company uses DUO. We can unmanage the accounts if necessary and worry about DUO later if possible. Appreciate the suggestions and if you can send links to how it should be done, would be great! Thank you. 

Like Günseli Erbay likes this
Yousef Qasem September 19, 2022

Hi @Jimmy Seddon ,

Our company was acquired and we want to change our emails logins to match the new company without losing users history. What is the best method to do that? Our accounts are managed by Okta but the new company uses DUO. We can unmanage the accounts if necessary and worry about DUO later if possible. Appreciate the suggestions and if you can send links to how it should be done, would be great! Thank you. 

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2022

Hi @Yousef Qasem,

This is not going to be an easy task to accomplish (since you want to retain user history).  

Reading the support article here: https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/make-changes-to-a-managed-user-account/

As well as the answer to the question asked here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Access-questions/Can-Atlassian-Access-Support-multiple-domains/qaq-p/1696784

I believe what you will need to do is make sure you have verified both domains (This may require some strategic co-ordination between multiple instances).

Then, you should be able to update the email address of the managed account for the Okta verified domain to an email address that will be used for the user in the DUO verified domain.

I'd recommend making sure you have a handful of test accounts that you can try this with first to make sure you are getting the results you want before moving any users where you might lose their history.

I hoe that helps get you on the right track.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Yousef Qasem September 20, 2022

Thank you @Jimmy Seddon for the direction. Seems there are multiple ways of accomplishing my goal. 

Günseli Erbay October 29, 2022

hi,

I created an account with corporate e-mail account (which belongs former position holder). And finally I have my own e-mail account.

-I wanna change the name of account (I can not succeed yet) - I need your guidance

-I wanna change the e-mail which is registered

Someone could assist me please?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events