Walkthrough: Creating and Updating

Hi Early Access crew! While Team Central is easy to use once you get going, you might find an empty site to be a bit daunting. Let's talk about what you can do to get started!

The structure

Team Central has two objects: Goals and Projects. You might think of these in Jira terms of Epics and Issues right away, but keep in mind that Team Central is about easily sharing status updates. In Jira Software, you can have three (epics, issues, subtasks) or even four (initiatives, if you've using Advanced Roadmaps) layers of structure. This is simplified down to just two in Team Central.

There's a little wiggle-room as Goals can have sub-goals. Functionally these are the same as Goals - they just stack when you're looking at the Goals page.

• Goals are going to be higher-level items that might take multiple streams of work to complete. Example: "Go Carbon-Neutral" - company-wide, this will take a lot of projects to achieve!
  • Projects are the specific streams of work that you're going to complete, and can define success criteria around. Example: "Main Street office Solar Power" - success criteria here are easily definable: the Main Street building is getting solar power. At an even lower level (tracked in Jira, Trello, or wherever), teams might work through individual items like installing panels on the roof or buying power certificates from an energy provider. What they'll update in Team Central is how close they are to achieving success: running the office from solar power.

Create goals and projects

Start out by Clicking New at the top and choosing either a Goal or a Project. You can choose either one to begin with, and simply link the goals and projects together once created.

Making updates

Once you've got a project created, the projects that are available for you to update will show up in the New button dropdown.

image.png

Add your update (280 characters or less please!) and Team Central will do its magic from there.

Video walkthrough

Questions about creating Goals, Projects, or Updates? Ask below or start a new question here in the Community group!

8 comments

Comment

Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 19, 2021

Thanks for this helpful summary!

Like # people like this
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 19, 2021

For those interesting in the long history of Team Central, here's an old slideshare of when it was Project Central and was only used as an internal setup in Jira.

https://www.slideshare.net/GoAtlassian/cutting-through-the-noise-breaking-down-hierarchical-communication-channels-and-silos

Like # people like this
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2021

Thanks, Daniel! Looks great!

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2021

A few people on my team have expressed a lot of interest in this, but are worried the cost for an organization of ~500 people might be very high. Any idea of the potential prices of the non-early access product ?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2021

Hey @Chris Buzon , thanks for this question! In response, I'll direct you to this other thread: "A preview into Team Central pricing" . Mary and Sherif have laid out the direction pricing is going, and are in the best position to help clarify any further. Cheers!

Like Chris Buzon likes this
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2021

Thanks @Daniel Eads !!  That was exactly what my team wanted. Appreciated!

Like Daniel Eads likes this
Shayna Amato August 13, 2021

It would be helpful if somewhere we could see what the Monday update to followers looks like. I just set up all of my projects/updates etc, but I'm not positive what people will see in this update... is it an email or notification? I can't seem to find any information about what actually happens on Monday, might be a helpful thing to add to tutorials.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2021

Great observation @Shayna Amato ! You can generate a sample email by:

1. Clicking on your avatar and choosing "How Team Central works" or going directly to https://team.atlassian.com/how
  2. Clicking the "Send me a sample digest" link
    Home_—_Atlassian_Team_Central__Beta_.png

This will generate a sample digest for you using non-real data, so that you can see the format of a Monday email on any day of the week. Here's a screenshot of part of one in case you'd rather just see it straightaway:
image.png

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events