Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding User Stories in Jira [ + How to Guide]

Purpose of user stories

User stories are an essential part of Agile development, providing a clear and concise way to capture software features from the end user's perspective. They help teams focus on delivering value by addressing real user needs. The typical format for a user story is: "As a [type of user], I want [an action] so that [a benefit/value]." This simple structure ensures everyone on the team understands what needs to be built and why.

Key components of a user story

When creating user stories in Jira, it's important to include the following elements:

1. Summary: A brief summary of the feature.

2. Description: A detailed explanation following the standard format, with any additional context.

3. Assignee: The team member responsible for implementing the story.

4. Priority: The importance or urgency of the story.

5. Status: The current stage in the development process.

Why user stories matter

User stories are crucial for several reasons:

1. User-centric focus: They prioritize the needs of the end user, ensuring that the team is always working towards delivering real value.

2. Simplicity and Clarity: User stories are easy to understand and communicate, making them a great tool for aligning the team.

3. Enhanced Collaboration: They encourage discussions among team members, fostering a collaborative environment.

4. Prioritization and Planning: User stories help in managing the backlog and planning sprints effectively.

5. Flexibility: They allow for changes as the project evolves, making them adaptable to new insights or requirements.

6. Measurable Progress: User stories provide clear units of work, making it easier to track progress.

7. Clear Acceptance Criteria: They ensure that the feature meets user expectations and maintains quality.

Writing effective user stories

To write effective user stories, keep them:

• User-centric: Focus on the end user's needs and perspective.

• Concise: Keep them brief but informative.

• Valuable: Ensure they deliver clear benefits.

• Negotiable: Allow room for discussion and refinement.

• Testable: Define clear acceptance criteria to verify completion.

• Estimable: Make sure they can be estimated in terms of effort and time.

Example user story template

Here's a basic template for a user story in Jira:

Summary

Description:

As a [type of user]

I want [an action] 

So that [a benefit/value]

Acceptance criteria:

Estimated time:

Priority:

Here's an example:

Summary: User login feature

Description

As a registered user

I want to log in to my account

So that I can access my personalized dashboard.

Acceptance criteria:

- The login page should have fields for username and password.

- Users should receive an error message if the login fails.

- Successful login should redirect to the user's dashboard.

Estimated time: 2 weeks

Priority: High

Creating user story templates in Jira

In Jira, you can create user story templates to streamline the process. While there are several methods to do this, including manual cloning and automation rules, the key is to ensure consistency and clarity in your templates. 

You can create and configure such a template quickly with Issue Templates for Jira.

User-Story-Templates-Infographic-Interface-01.png

Creating a reusable template with the Issue Templates for Jira app

User-Story-Templates-Infographic-Interface-02.png

Using variables for more efficient template filling with Issue Templates for Jira.

Conclusion

By using well-structured user stories in Jira, Agile teams can improve their development process, enhance communication, and deliver more valuable features to end-users. Keep your stories user-centric, concise, and valuable, and you'll be on the right track to successful Agile development.

2 comments

Comment

Joanna Weber July 25, 2024

A useful thing to consider when writing user stories is to focus on the underlying needs rather than the feature. That sounds counterintuitive when you're using it for development, but it makes it more likely to build the right thing.

First, it's important to have reliable data on your customer needs and behaviours. Ideally, this should come from professional UX or market researchers - if the data is wrong, the lists of needs are wrong, therefore the solutions are wrong.

With this data, you can write write research-backed personas and, from those, detailed user stories that capture and focus the value of the thing you are developing. For example:

For Jack the Jira Admin*, I want an easy and secure way to access my user account, so that I can view the data that I need to use in my monthly report.

The acceptance criteria then needs to include the login capability, but this additional information might lead you to consider TFA or other security measures. Knowing that it needs to be easy means considering the UX - inuitive inputs, error messages - and viewing the data informs, as you say, the need to redirect to the dashboard.

*Let's say that Jack is a Jira Admin from a product management rather than engineering background, and those research participants told us that they don't have extensive coding experience and need to frequently write short reports for senior management, and that usability and security are important concerns to them.

Rosemary Cabrera July 26, 2024

great article

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events