Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate employee onboarding in Jira Service Management

In a past life, I asked this community how they handled employee onboarding using JSM.

And what I found was that if you're like most companies, your onboarding checklist is a never-ending nightmare.

You have to go through each item step-by-step, and it's prone to human error. It can take days, weeks, or even months to get your new hire up to speed.

Let’s take a real world scenario.

Say you are in an organization where HR creates tickets for IT to get new employees set up their start date. That workflow probably looks something like to this:

1. HR creates a new hire ticket containing the employee’s name and information.

2. IT receives this ticket and starts to create accounts, configure email, add to distribution lists.

3. User accounts are created in the various systems individually by an agent

4. Users’ machines have to be manually set up with user credentials and a temporary password that has to later be changed by the user.

In a growing organization where you may see multiple new hires a week, this can cause a lot of overhead and opportunities for something to be missed.

The good news is you can automate this process. You'll save time and resources, and you'll be able to ramp up your new hires faster than ever before.

In this post, we’ll take a look at how Multiplier can automate your your employee onboarding process.

Creating new hire accounts

Your HR team creates new hire ticket that looks like the one in the screenshot.

CleanShot 2022-08-10 at 15.39.58@2x.png

CleanShot 2022-08-10 at 15.43.04.jpeg

Instead of copying and pasting this information into your identity provider, Multiplier can trigger account creation automatically in Okta, Azure Active Directory, Google Workspace and Jumpcloud.

This post function can take the values in your Jira fields that are capturing the new hire's details and populate it in your identity provider:

CleanShot 2022-08-10 at 16.18.27.jpeg

This can then be combined with other actions that can act on the newly created user, e.g. adding the user to groups:

CleanShot 2022-08-10 at 16.37.48.jpeg

Providing access to the right applications and resources

CleanShot 2022-08-10 at 16.25.01.jpeg

As part of onboarding your new hires, you need to give them what they need in order to do their jobs.

This includes access to the right software tools, jira projects, identity groups, distribution lists, shared drives.

Instead of manually provisioning access, Multiplier can also automate these steps.

After onboarding, if your employees request access to any additional tools, you can set up a self-serve internal appstore with automated approvals and provisioning or to request access to Jira projects.

Conclusion

Once you have set up employee onboarding, your new hires can get to work right away. You’re also less likely to encounter errors and find things slipping through the cracks.

To get started automating, install Multiplier from the Atlassian marketplace.

Happy onboarding!

Amaresh

1 comment

Comment

Joby Labs
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 16, 2023

I would like to know how set this up

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events