Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I drop the CSV file so my ScriptRunner script can see it?

Mark Finta January 19, 2018

I am writing a script that needs to read some data from a csv file.  This is the line that I want to use to access the file and store the data.

InputStream inputFile = getClass().classLoader.getResourceAsStream("projectToEpicMap.csv")
String[] lines = inputFile.text.split('\n')
List<String[]> rows = lines.collect {
it.split(',')
}

Where do I have to put my csv file so this line will be able to access it?  At the moment all I am receiving is a NullPointerException.  Right now I have the csv file in this location.

<JIRA Install Directory>\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\lib

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Cheesley _Adaptavist_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2018

Hi Mark,

I made a slight change to your script. I have used "File" instead of using the classloader as it's a simpler approach. I also added an if statement to check for the presence of the file, so that you get more useful output than before in case the file is not found.

File file = new File("<path_to_jira_home>/files/test.csv") // <-- Change this to your path...

if (file.exists() && file.isFile()) {
String[] lines = file.text.split('\n')
List<String[]> rows = lines.collect {
it.split(',')
}
} else {
"No file found at that location..."
}

A couple of points on this:

1. Create a new directory in your JIRA_HOME directory for storing these kinds of files.

2. You need to provide an absolute path to the files on the server. I don't believe this will work with relative paths.

You should be able to run this script in your "Script Console" as-is to test. I would always recommend against carrying out this kind of development in your production JIRA instance. It is always best to test these changes in a pre-production instance first :-)

I hope this helps!

Steve

Mark Finta January 22, 2018

Deleted comment

Hemanshu Sood October 17, 2018

Hi @Stephen Cheesley _Adaptavist_@Mark Finta, can you please provide the complete script to acomplish this. I want to read a csv file from my local system and create/update tickets in Jira

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2018

Hey @Hemanshu Sood

Unfortunately, I don't have time right now to write the whole script front to back. The snippet provided in my response should do 75% of what you want. You simply need to add the logic that will update JIRA issues based on the content. It should be straight forward enough. You can use the Atlassian Java API to help you find out how to update JIRA issues.

Feel free to come back if you get stuck or have any specific questions :-)

Joel March 13, 2019

One small Problem Stephen... She's a not working! What is it we're doing wrong?

image.png

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2019

Hey Joel,

Does the script work if you try to run it? Your getting a static type checking error, but the script may still work. If the script fails to run, what is the error message from the script output?

Joel March 14, 2019

I couldn't get it to run with the same code so instead I just iterated through it with a for. I had to do as such anyways since what I'm doing is importing a series of Project Components via a csv file. 

Your code was a fantastic start and got me on the right path, thanks! ... I ended up with this:

if (file.exists() && file.isFile()) {
String[] lines = file.text.split('\n');
lines.length;
for(int i=0; i<lines.length; i++){

if(created>=MAXCompLimit){
break;
}
def r = lines[i].split(',');
try {
if(compmgr.findByComponentName(targPID, r[0]) == null){
//create
compmgr.create(r[0], r[1].trim(), '', 0, targPID);
created++
}else{
//skip
}
} catch(Exception e1) {
//Catch block
log.error(e1);
}
}
} else {
log.error("No file found at that location ["+FilePath+"]");
}

0 votes
Ivana Srebrenova October 17, 2022

Hello,

Can we read a csv file attached on a issue or some other location and read in in Cloud with Script Runner?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events