Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically populate Start date and End date based on Sprint value?

Gil Vinokoor September 8, 2020

I have a Jira use case that I’m wondering if someone can help solve.

For starters, we are using BigPicture add-on that creates custom fields Start date and End date, which we have added to our Story screens.

We also use the standard Sprint field on Story screens.

What we’d like to do is create automation that would automatically set the Start date and End date values to be populated with the dates of the relevant Sprint value.

Example: if Sprint = September.2020 then Start date = Sep 1 and End date = Sep 30.

Of course, we would need Jira to know that Sep 1 and Sep 30 are the start and end dates of the Sprint, since that info is not collected in Jira.

What do you think?

Anyone have any first-hand knowledge or experience solving such a use case?

Thanks in advance!

Gil

3 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Prateek Yadav September 29, 2020

For the active Sprint, this can be achieved via Jira automation, which is free (limited triggers) and comes out of the box.

• You can set condition for "Field value changed"
  • Then in action select "Edit Issue" 
  • Select end date field and set value as "{{issue.Sprint.endDate.jiraDate}}"

To edit future Sprint date with below API

URL: https://yourinstance.atlassian.net/rest/agile/1.0/sprint/Sprintid

{ "id": , "state": "FUTURE", "name": "xxxx", "startDate": "2020-10-07T15:22:00.000+10:00", "endDate": "2020-10-20T01:22:00.000+10:00"}

Sprint REST API documentation link

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/software/rest/api-group-sprint/#api-agile-1-0-sprint-sprintid-put

0 votes
Mateusz Sołowianiuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2020

Hi @Gil Vinokoor and @Astrid Uttenreitter 

This is easily achievable by using BigPicture's Task period alignment feature. Please refer to this wiki page for an extensive explanation on how to use it. 

I hope that this clarifies. Nonetheless, I rest at your disposal if any further doubts arise. 

Best regards,

Mateusz Sołowianiuk

SoftwarePlant Support

Gil Vinokoor October 22, 2020

Nice to hear from SoftwarePlant, Mateusz!

This seems to be a new feature in BigPicture 8 (using Boxes), yes?

Like Mateusz Sołowianiuk likes this
Mateusz Sołowianiuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2020

Not really, Gil. We used to have the same functionality in earlier versions, please see this wiki page for more details. As you can see, the concept is pretty much the same - in BigPicture 8 we only refurbished this functionality so that it follows the Boxes logic. 

I hope that this clarifies. 

Best regards,

Mateusz Sołowianiuk

SoftwarePlant Support 

0 votes
Astrid Uttenreitter September 22, 2020

I am looking at the exact same thing, as currently it is not possible to add start/end dates to a sprint before it has started. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events