Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-open issue to last known state

Mike M March 14, 2017

Hi,

So I am in the process of implementing a new workflow. My workflow takes an issue and has 3 points in the workflow where it can Accepted/Rejected, after which it can be closed. Now in the Accepted/Rejected state I want the option to re-open the issue, but I want to be able to re-open the issue to the state where it was originally Accepted/Rejected.

For example,

• User X creates issue A and Accepts at point 1 in the workflow
  • User X creates issue B and Rejects at point 2 in the workflow
  • User X creates issue C and Rejects at point 3 in the workflow

Now some times passes and User Y comes along,

• User Y re-opens issue A, I want this to automatically re-open to point 1 in the worflow
  • User Y re-opens issue B, I want this to automatically re-open to point 2 in the worflow
  • User Y re-opens issue C, I want this to automatically re-open to point 3 in the worflow

So essentially, rather than have:

• Re-open: Point 1
  • Re-open: Point 2
  • Re-open: Point 3

which doesn't really work as an issue may have never reached point 2 or point 3. I want a single Re-open action that is smart enough to re-open at the state the issue was originally Accepted/Rejected in.

Is this at all possible?

Thanks in advance

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2017

Hello Mike,

If you have the highly popular "Script runner" plugin installed on your JIRA, then you can use the workflow condition -"Checks the issue has been in a status previously" , basically there can be 4 transition on the "rejected" status but at a given point only 1 will be visible on the "issue view" based on the previous status condition. And clicking on the transition will take the user back to the previous status.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2017

No.  A transition has one end point.  You need to set up transitions that will allow you to go back to the status you want to land in.

If you are clever with conditions, you can hide the ones that are not relevant.  I think there's a "previous status" condition in one of the standard add-ons (JIRA Suite, or Toolkit)

Mike M March 14, 2017

Hi Nic,

That sounds like it could work, I'll investigate further.

And kudos as always for the prompt response.

Thanks

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events