Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Java API documentation and examples

FH Spam
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 24, 2016

Hi,

I am currently looking into writing code (java) to interact with a Jira server we've set up locally at our company to manage several projects (aim: peruse users, tasks, etc. and load them into a corporate backend)

As per the documentation, I gather there are two JIRA APIs that will let us do so, JIRA REST API (no problem here, lots of doc and examples), and the "Java API". And that's where I get confused a bit.

We're sensing we'd want to go that way (Java API) to avoid the REST overhead, however I have not been able to find any significant documentation/tutorial/resource as to how to use that Java API.

Sure, I've seen there's the JavaDoc for that, but surely we're not expected to rely solely on that to jumpstart a project.

And then the Java API Policy mentions the "jira-api" Maven Artifact.

But there again, I get stuck after that. Can't find any meaningful resource/help on the subject.

Is this the same as using the Atlassian SDK? (I've seen tutorials on that).

You get the drift: all help welcome here!

Cheers,

François

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2016

Yes, it is developing plugins using Atlassian SDK. So, that is a good start. You can go through some of the JIRA plugin development tutorials to get the hang of it.

You will also find a couple of book on JIRA Development, including mine that is titled JIRA Development Cookbook.

cbhandal November 23, 2018

Hi Jobin. We have a cloud instance of JIRA running here. I take it it's impossible to deploy a plugin developed with the Atlassian SDK to a cloud instance?

Atlassian's SDK Plugin Tutorial mentions:

"This hands on tutorial is designed to help you learn the basics of plugin development for Atlassian Server products. If you meant to write an app for an Atlassian Cloud product then please see the following guides instead."

The linked guides only give code examples using the REST API, so I presume it's impossible to deploy a Java-API plugin to a cloud instance of an Atlassian product?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2018

That is right. Only a selected few java add-on are available on Cloud and they come pre-packaged. As of now, you need to use the Connect framework to develop add-ons for Cloud.

Like cbhandal likes this
cbhandal November 26, 2018

Thanks Jobin for clarifying.

2 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2016

You can get jira-api here: https://maven.atlassian.com/content/groups/public/com/atlassian/jira/jira-api/

Or add this to your POM:

<dependency>

<groupId>com.atlassian.jira</groupId>

<artifactId>jira-api</artifactId>

<version>${jira.version}</version>

<scope>provided</scope>

</dependency>

FH Spam
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 26, 2016

Yes, thanks, but what about the end-user documentation?

Like cbhandal likes this
smarx007
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 11, 2017

Thank you, Vasiliy, your link works perfectly but the documentation refers to https://maven.atlassian.com/content/repositories/atlassian-public in most documents.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events