Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find epics with no stories

Cassandra Chan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 21, 2015

I'm not sure if it is possible to have an epic without any associated stories. In order to prove if this is true or not, I am trying to write a query using built-in jql functions as well as the Scriptrunner plugin.

Can epics exist with no stories? If so, has anyone already tried to implement this?

4 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

7 votes
Answer accepted
Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2015

Hi,

It is possible to have epics without stories associated. We have scenarios like this and it can be made visible using below JQL.

issueFunction not in linkedIssuesOf("project = eai and type = story", "has Epic") and project = eai and type = epic

I use script runner issuefunction to get the epics that does not have a link to epic and then filter the epics for that project.

Regards,

Vijay.

Adeel Nazir
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 20, 2018

above JQL is not 100% correct. it works on some EPICs. i don't know why

Following JQL works:

project = PROJECT and issuetype = Epic and issueFunction not in hasLinkType("Epic-Story Link")

Like IT Platforms likes this
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2019

This also works I think for a shorter query:

project = X and issuetype = Epic and issueFunction not in epicsOf("project = X")

Like IT Platforms likes this
Raj Reddy September 7, 2021

Hi,

how will I rephrase the above if I have more than one project . For example if I have Project=X, Y

appreciate your help.

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2021

Hi @Raj Reddy 

You can change the operator to accomodate this - "=" is for one project, whilst "IN" is for multiple. 

So for example...

project IN (X,Y,Z) and issuetype = Epic and issueFunction not in epicsOf("project IN (X,Y,Z)")

Ste

Raj Reddy September 9, 2021

Thank you Ste. It works.

Like Ste likes this
5 votes
Deleted user October 21, 2015

Is there a way to do this without the script runner plugin?

3 votes
Deleted user February 4, 2016

Is there a way to do this in Atlassian Cloud.

Regards

Ron

John Drury March 13, 2019

project = XXX and issuetype = Story and "Epic Link" is EMPTY

None of the others work; issueFunction and hasLinkType are not available in the cloud version

Like # people like this
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2019

Are you sure John? I've got little experience with Scriptrunner in Cloud but it seems to suggest there is Scriptrunner Enhanced Search and JQL aliases to get around some of the limitations in Cloud.

These do have some issue link searches you can use.

The search above shows stories with no epic - not epics with no stories below them.

Ste

0 votes
Adeel Nazir
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 20, 2018
project = PROJECT and issuetype = Epic and issueFunction not in hasLinkType("Epic-Story Link")
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events