Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I freeze the first row of a table in Confluence?

Gagan Kalra April 27, 2016

I want to freeze the first row of a table that I have created in confluence. What's the process to do it?

4 answers

7 votes
Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2016

Starting from Confluence 5.8 there are sticky table headings in view mode, but they have some limitations.

As an alternative you can use Table Filter and Charts add-on. Table Filter has an option (Fit table to screen area) to freeze the first row and make table scrollable.

Archana Goparaju March 15, 2018

is it also possible to freeze first column of the table? The above worked for me to freeze top row heading but I also need the first 2 columns to be frozen, hope there is a way to do that

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2018

Yes, you can freeze the first 2 columns with Table Filter freeze first N columns option.

Like # people like this
Archana Goparaju March 15, 2018

I don't see that option in my Table filter --> Table View

and also I can see only option for Show N rows which I entered 3, and saved . It doesn't work either. Pls help. I mainly looking to freeze first 2 columns .

Like Marina Fedorova likes this
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2018

What is your version of Table Filter and Charts add-on?

Aurélia Feyssaguet March 30, 2018

Hi,

I managed to freeze the first column of my table using Table Filter/Table View.
However, it is only freezed in read-only mode (once the page is saved).

Is it possible to freeze it in edit mode too?
Indeed, I would like see it freezed when scrolling on the right and adding values in my table.

Thx for your answer.

Aurélia F

Like Ashley Renlund likes this
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2018

Hi Aurélia,

It works in edit mode too, but only in Confluence Server, not in Cloud. Are you on Confluence Cloud?

Actually yes, I am on Confluence Server and a trial version of Table Filter.

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2018

Sorry, I thought you were talking about freezing the first row, not column. Freezing columns works only in page view mode. But most likely this improvement will be implemented in future versions of Table Filter.

OK thanks. And I imagine there is no other ways to freeze columns in Confluence? This can only be done using Table Filter plugin?

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2018

You can try Table Enhancer as well, but notice this add-on is not supported.

OK thanks for your answer.

I had another question posted here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Questions-for-Confluence/Move-total-columns-in-Table-Filter/qaq-p/762506
Do you think you could also take a look at it? :)

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2018

Sure, already answered :). Thank you for pointing to this question.

Antonio Pascual June 27, 2018

Hello,

I am using the Jira issue filter macro to show a table in Confluence. I am also using the table filter macro.

However, it looks like when you are showing a table using the Issue filter macro the functionality that allows you to freeze columns and rows in the Table filter macro does not work.

Does anyone now if it is possible to freeze columns and rows in a table whose source is the Jira issue filter macro?

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2018

Hello Antonio,

It is compatible with Jira Issues macro as well, you can see it works here

What version of Confluence and Table Filter do you use?

Hello,

I am using Table Filter version 1.1.63-AC and Confluence Cloud. I know it is compatible because you can use filtering, but it looks like Frozen rows/columns do not work. Is there a limitation with this?

Best regards

Antonio

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2018

Just checked it in Confluence Cloud and it worked in my environment.  You can contact vendor support to resolve the issue.

Thank you Andrey, I will do that.

Iddo Jacobi July 30, 2018

Hi Andrey Khaneev,
In your answers above in Mar 2018 you wrote that freezing the first row in a table "works in edit mode too, but only in Confluence Server, not in Cloud".
I am using Confluence Server (6.6.4) and first row is not frozen when the page the table is in is being Edited. For the avoidance of doubt: The first row is frozen when that page is not edited.

What may be the reason for that / how can it be checked?

Thanks in advance, Iddo Jacobi.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2018

Hi @Iddo Jacobi,

Please, check whether it works for you on this page. Also you can contact StiltSoft support to resolve the issue.

Iddo Jacobi July 30, 2018

Hi and thank you for the quick response.

The only table in that page where headers appear frozen at the top of the window even the page is scrolled seems to be the one titled "Hiding table columns", and that one doesn't appear to be frozen when I enter edit mode.

By the way: I am typically using Firefox 52.9.0 32-bit for Confluence pages, but I tried it also in Chrome, and the behavior is the same there with both my own pages and the page you sent,

Should I have a preference whether to track the support call here (Atlassian) or with StiltSoft support?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2018

Firefox 52 is quite an old version. What version of Chrome do you use?

It is better to contact StiltSoft support in this case.

Stiltsoft support
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2024

Hi guys,

The ability to freeze columns in edit mode for Data Center was introduced in 11.2.0 version of the Table Filter, Charts & Spreadsheets for Confluence app.

Please ask your Confluence administrator to update the plugin.

2 votes
Syauqi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2019

Hi All,

The feature isn't available at this moment and there's a feature request where you can provide your ideas in the comment section and vote here: Freeze top line of tables.

The request isn't new but requires more inputs and votes in order to get the developer's attention and to put this on the roadmap. 

Cheers,

Syauqi

Beth Park January 18, 2019

Added my vote to the feature request.  

Like Shai Dekel likes this
Sharon Tan
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 13, 2021

Hi there!

Adding to the existing quality answers with today's functionality in Cloud:

Confluence Cloud automatically supports sticky headers in edit mode. See more under the "Tables" section on Formatting Your Page from our Cloud documentation:

"When you have large tables with many rows, the header row becomes sticky and doesn't scroll out of view when editing the page or viewing the page.

This doesn't work, however, if you've merged several rows to create a bigger header row.

The previously linked open Cloud feature request Freeze top line of tables is a great place to capture any further feedback on what you'd like to see beyond what's available today.

To echo what's been shared about self-hosted Confluence, this includes support of sticky headers, but in view mode (doc at "Sticky table headers in view mode" from our Tables) with named situations where headers would not stick. 

Any additional comments on our self-hosted functionality can be added to Table header with heading column not sticky when scrolling, which is on our team's long-term roadmap and where updates and improvements will be posted. Thank you!

1 vote
Rusty Lundgren October 8, 2018

Hi,

Is there a way to freeze the top row of a table in edit mode, if you are running Confluence Cloud?

Thanks!

Rusty

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2018

Hi Rusty,

I'm sure there is no workaround for Confluence Cloud.

Rusty Lundgren October 8, 2018

Ok.  Thanks for the info, Andrey.

CAT April 25, 2019

Hi, @Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_

Same question as Rusty but for Confluence Server. 
Is it possible to freeze rows or columns in the edition mode ?
This is necessary, to work with long tables and to insert data. 

Thanks for your answer. 

Clotilde 

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2019

Hi @CAT

Yes, it is possible to freeze rows in the editor in Confluence Server, but not columns. Please, see how it work on the demo site.

Like CAT likes this
CAT April 25, 2019

I'm sorry but even if I put the same settings as the TABLE VIEW one, of the category " Fitting table to the screen area ", it is not working in editor mode. I can see in the macro preview that the first row is frozen, but in edition mode it's not working. 

Thanks for your help again, 

Clotilde 

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2019

I see this when I edit the page:

2019-04-25_15h35_17.pngWhat do you see there? What browser do you use?

CAT April 25, 2019

I can see exacly the same on demo site (and it's working as I want) / my page confluence page in edition mode (not working the same). I use google chrome. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2019

Please, check the version of Table Filter and Charts app in Confluence Administration and update it if possible.

CAT April 25, 2019

We bought and installed the macro last week... I just checked, any update is possible. We are disappointed, we still try to found the problem, but please keep us in touch quicly if you found the solution. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2019

Please, contact StiltSoft support to resolve the issue.

Like CAT likes this
CAT April 25, 2019

Thanks! 

Klara Sommermann November 13, 2020

Hey @Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_ , thanks for your suggestions! 

I also have the problem that header rows are not frozen in edit mode, also in the demo page (https://demo.stiltsoft.com/pages/editpage.action?pageId=23724587) you mentioned – when using Chrome as a browser. It works in Safari, though. 

Can you point us Chrome users to a solution for this yet? 

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

Hi @Klara Sommermann, do you use Confluence Cloud? Freezing of rows works in the editor only in Confluence Server and Data Center. 

Klara Sommermann November 13, 2020

Hey @Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_ , thanks for the quick reply!

We're using Confluence Server, version 6.15.9

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

Then it should work. Please, contact our support to resolve the issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events