Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Users from Nested Groups in AD

Julian Kolb September 13, 2015

Hello,

I have the following problem:

I have nested groups in my Active Directory and dont get all Users of these groups in my JIRA. The followig scheme shows my AD tree:

image2015-9-14 11:49:54.png

In the configuration of the AD in JIRA i have the following settings:

LDAP Schema -> Additional Group DN: OU=JIRA

Group Schema Settings -> Group Object Filter: (objectCategory=Group)

I want to have all Groups of the OU=JIRA (jira-test) in my JIRA and i dont want to have the groups from other OU's listed in JIRA ("GroupA").

But I want to get all users, including the users from group from other OU's ("GroupA"), from all groups of the OU=JIRA ("jira-test").

With the config shown above i only get User1 and User2 if I filter my Users for the group "jira-test". I miss User 3 and User4 from group "GroupA".

Can you help me?

6 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jan-Peter Rusch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2015

I opened a support call with Atlassian:

Final answer:

If I can please confirm that you would not like the parent group of the nested group to be seen in Confluence? If this is correct, this is not possible. You will see a flattened list and it will be shown that the user is member of both groups. There also will be no relation shown between the parent and nested group.

So, nested groups only work, if the parent groups of a nested group are also available/displayed in Confluence.

Avinash May 24, 2019

@Jan-Peter Rusch  i am okay with displaying both the groups. Can you share the way to achieve it by adding a group filter? 

1 vote
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2015

Did you check the "Enable Nested groups" option?

image2015-9-14 17:45:38.png

0 votes
I Yordanov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 17, 2019

Hi guys. Any update on the issue? I have the same with my Confluence. Couldn't find a way to make it work with nested AD groups. 

0 votes
Andrej Kvasnica February 6, 2017

This is nice. What about getting groups from nested groups (for using nested groups in filters and workflows and access rights too)?

0 votes
Jan-Peter Rusch
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2015

Same problem here with Confluence... Any hints or answers?

• Nested Groups is enabled
  • Follow Referrals is disabled
  • Naive DN Matching is enabled

I tried about every possible configuration, like setting the additional Group DN to a parent OU=Groups and then filtering with the group object filter (objectCategory=Group)(CN=*_CON))

All the groups Iwant to see in Confluence end with _CON.

I also tried:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Active+Directory+User+Filter+Does+Not+Search+Nested+Groups

without any luck.

0 votes
Julian Kolb September 14, 2015

Yes! Sorry, forgott to tell you that.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events