Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation Issue Event Trigger on Issue Resolved event leaves issue in an inconsistent state

David Nichols October 14, 2015

A JIRA Automation Plugin rule that fires on Issue Resolved event and adds a comment leaves the issue in an inconsistent state where the status is left unchanged, yet the workflow buttons show only transitions available in the Resolved state. Examining issue history, it claims the change took place, but viewing the issue shows resolution as Unresolved. Has anyone else seen this or more importantly, know of a fix or workaround?

JIRA Automation Plugin version 1.5.6

Steps to Reproduce:
Create an automation rule as follows:
Trigger Type: Issue Event Trigger
Issue Event: ISSUE RESOLVED
JQL expression: project = "MyProject"
Actions: Comment Issue Action
Comment: This issue has been resolved!
Comment Visibility: Viewable by All Users
Send notification? No
Activate the rule
Create an issue in the MyProject project
Transition issue to Resolved, select Resolution "Fixed"

Expected Behavior:
The comment "This issue has been resolved" is added to the issue
The issue is in the Resolved state, the resolution is set to "Fixed"
The workflow buttons show only transitions available in the Resolve state
Searches for status = Open OR Resolution is Empty should NOT select this issue
Searches for status = Resolved AND Resolution is Not Empty SHOULD select this issue

Observed Behavior:
Comment "This issue has been resolved!" is added to the issue (correct)
The issue shows as being in the Open state, the resolution shows as Unresolved (incorrect)
The workflow transition buttons show only transitions available in Resolved State (inconsistent with Open status)
The History log shows the transition to Resolved statue with "Fixed" resolution (inconsistent with status)
Searches for status = Open OR Resolution is Empty DO select this issue
Searches for status = Resolved AND Resolution is Not Empty DO NOT select this issue

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Nick October 18, 2015

Check that your transition belongs to the workflow for the particular issue. (it is not enough to have the right transition name)

If not then the transition fails and it seems JIRA automation runs the actions it can even though some of them may fail.

David Nichols October 19, 2015

I'm using the workflow buttons when viewing the issue to transition to "Resolved" (so it must belong to the workflow, right??). If I disable the automation and use the "Resolve" button, the transition works fine, If I re-enabled it, it fails as noted above.

Nick November 10, 2015

I meant in the transition action you have to select the right workflow and transition within it. In the "Workflow Transition" dropdown you see the workflow names in bold followed by transition names with ids. AFAIK the workflow has to match the worfkflow of the ticket you are transitioning as well as the ticket being in the right state to allow the transition.

David Nichols November 16, 2015

The trigger is the transition (Issue Event=ISSUE RESOLVED) and the action is to add a comment to the issue. There is no "Workflow Transition" dropdown involved, no workflow name in bold, no transition names with ids. Unless I am totally missing your point we are not talking about the same thing. The transition is initiated by the user clicking a transition button in the regular JIRA view issue screen. The transition is NOT initiated by the automation. The user initiated transition fires an "Issue Resolved" event which is the trigger. The action taken by this automation is to simply add a comment to the issue. The automation action is NOT meant to transition the issue, it is the result of one. This issue has been reproduced by Atlassian Support, even though this is an unsupported feature. The support person agreed with me that this is a bug, that an automation action of commenting an issue should not leave the issue in an inconsistent state. Their recommendation was to post here for a quick solution. If you haven't, please try to recreate this issue following the steps listed above.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events