Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on the best way to identify which Scrum team an issue will be allocated to

Geoff March 10, 2017

Hi all

I am looking for some advice on the best way to identify which Scrum team an issue will be allocated to. 

In the past, we have used the Labels field and then written the JQL to only select issues with that label.  This works but does has the problem if someone mistypes the teams name it doesn’t get picked up by the JQL.  A few weeks ago I decided to change the JQL to use the Componets field and that solved the problem of mistyped names but the other day one of the team said why didn’t we use a custom field?  It sounds like a good idea but before making any more changes I thought I would see what other people have done to see if their other options. 

The custom field is currently used to identify what will be impacted by the story, e.g. database, UI, queues, billing, external contracts etc, so it would be nice to move the team name out to somewhere else to reduce the noise in the field.

On looking at the custom field options I was thinking of something like this:

Field Name:        Team Name

Type:     Select List (single choice) – Options would be a list of the Scrum teams.  Blank indicates that we haven’t identified the team.

I would appreciate other people views since this is a problem many of you out there will have probably encountered and solved.

Regards

Geoff 

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2017

We used a user picker "Team Lead" for a while, which worked relatively well. If each Scrummaster is only working on a single team, that could be an option, as could 'Product Owner'.

Later, we progressed to a custom field of our own (we have developed a JIRA Add-On for our own use) that is called 'Dev Team'. The field type is our own "Team Name Field" and only allows a defined sub-set of JIRA groups as entry (basically, an enhanced 'group picker'). We define which JIRA groups are actually 'Teams' in another screen.

Our biggest challenge is nailing down the process of actually getting the teams to pull from the 'unassigned' backlog, but that's another story... ;o)

0 votes
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2017

I've seen a select list option in action and depending how much that happens in your organization a field like this can be a lot of administration.

If you have group picker and the group names make sense that might be a more convenient field. I've also seen solutions with Asset Management populated with this.

Good luck!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events