UPDATED Community release notes for November 16, 2023

Well, hello! Welcome to a short and sweet release note Thursday. This release is all about navigation.

Design updates!

sub-menu.png

A new sub-navigation is displaying on key pages within Community in an effort to provide visible waypoints to our Community & Learning programs, events, courses, and certifications. Established and new members alike now have an easier access point for resources relevant to your personal Atlassian journey.

==========

**UPDATED 11/17 5:30 PM CT: Janice here, We identified a bug on pages the new sub-navigation is displayed on. The bug prevents the drop-down menu normally accessed from clicking your profile photo from appearing.

The team is working on this now. However, a fix might not be implemented until Monday, 11/20. You can navigate to any page without the banner to access the drop-down menu during that time. Here's a quick link to a page without the banner.

UPDATED 11/21 9:08 CT: Janice here, a fix for this bug went out yesterday, 11/20!

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 4.33.15 PM.png

An additional update adds a new drop-down to our fantabulous Learning resources. These might be helpful in the next installment of Bite Size Learning. ;)

See what we’re doing here? It’s a whole thing!

Signing off for now, have a great week. ^_^

10 comments

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2023

Thanks for this information, @Janice 

That new banner / sub-navigation is quite large...and seems to be appearing for most things, like community feed, and each question, article, etc.  I only noticed it not drawn when viewing a list of groups or products.  Are all of those locations considered the "key pages" you note?

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2023

Hi @Janice thanks for sharing.

I agree with @Bill Sheboy here.

The banner is taking up too much screen real estate in my opinion.

These quick links may be helpful for newcomers, but should be able to be dismissed for daily visitors like Community Leaders and Marketplace Partners.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2023

Agree 100%. It takes up too much real estate. It would be best if it was a auto drop down on mouse over effect IMO.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2023

Hi @Janice - thanks for the update! I also agree that it should be a mouse over effect. 

Like # people like this
Janice
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 17, 2023

Appreciate the feedback, @Summer_Hogan @Jack Brickey @Dave Mathijs @Bill Sheboy As I pass this along to teams, it would be insightful for them to understand the impact of the update to you. If it's as simple as "It's too large" or "I'd rather not see this content" then no further info is necessary and your feedback is documented. However, if you can/want share clarifying information, it goes a long way in helping the team evaluate adjustments/pivots to the design. i.e. "It blocks my view of X" or "I want to be able to collapse this sub-navigation".

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2023

Hi @Janice and thanks for the follow-up!

My impact assessment is:

The new banner takes up 20-25% of my page height (Windows 10, latest Chrome browser, 100% scale), and so requires me to immediately scroll downward on each page to review the page content.  I definitely do not need to see the banner on most pages as the content has not changed.

The size and frequency of the banner may lead to an unintended consequence of being ignored...just like the "Was this helpful? <yes> <no>" nagging message at the bottom of each page painting.

Like # people like this
Janice
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 17, 2023

Thank you for sharing your impact assessment, Bill! And for such an outstanding example of critical feedback as well.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2023

@Janice , agree with Bill's input and would add that there is duplication with the main navigation bar in some cases, e.g. "ask a question". Why? Maybe the current bar is not cutting it and we need a more prominent solution?

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2023

@Janice - I agree with @Jack Brickey and @Bill Sheboy and would add that the bar takes up 25% of my screen when I first navigate to the page. Also, I think the main navigation next to "Atlassian Community" is redundant with the new sub-navigation as "products", "groups", "learning" and "ask the community" are already displayed. Maybe a potential solution is to remove the main navigation bar and just display the sub-navigation bar in it's place?

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2024

Greetings, and happy new year!

Are there any updates on improving this navigation banner's impact? 

Thanks!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events