Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

what should i do if the scrum team is changed

Hi Everybody,

In the ACP-300 exam I had a question like this: You have a scrum team, you works together for 6 months, you have been started a new sprint, after during the sprint 2 members changed with different skills. What should you do? 

• Stop the sprint and make an other with new estimates
  • You do nothing and take note you will not achieve the sprint goals
  • Don't stop the sprint, but re-estimate with the new members

And there are more answers, but I can't remember more.

I tried to find the answer, but there are lot of different answer. I could not identify the right answer.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

This is not necessarily the PMI answer, but practically speaking this is what I would do. First, changing two members in a scrum team is a BIG change, plus they have different skills (as stated). More importantly the personality of the team and how they will work together effectively has change with the addition of the 2 new members. My main goal as PM/ Scrum master would be incorporate the new members into the team and help the team find their optimum level of productivity (velocity). This could take a few sprints.

Regarding the current sprint when the two members left the team, the work they committed to is blocked and should be identified that way. If the new members can pick up the work then they will need to re-estimate the work (with the rest of the team) and commit to what they believe they can deliver by the end of the sprint. If this is not an option and the remaining team members cannot pick up and complete the work left by the departing team members before the sprint review then that work will have to go back into the backlog for re-prioritization. And BTW make sure the stakeholders are informed!

In summary, if I had to pick one of the three listed answers, the one I would chose is "Don't stop the sprint but re-estimate with the new members". It should be understood that any story estimating should be done with the whole team. :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Agile

Master the art of thinking big, working small: A conversation with John Cutler

Hello all! It has been 20 years since the agile manifesto was introduced, and closer to 40 years since software development began moving away from a waterfall-type approach. While many teams have ...

1,435 views 11 27
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you