Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking of epics

Mattia Fracassini April 1, 2019

Hi everyone,
I am trying to track how many epics we completed this sprint in comparison to last sprint.
How do you think I could do this?

Thank you so much in advance!

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Marianne Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2019

Scott has a really good answer, but I think you also want to remember that Epics are designed to span sprints as larger , and while you may complete an Epic during a sprint by completing the last bit of work, usually it's the stories being complete each sprint.  Hence the Burndown report or the Sprint review will give you that information at a glance.

If you assign the stories to the epic, then you can rack how much work you did in the epic, and see how close you are to complete that feature or functionality.

It definitely a concept that has room for interpretation. I found this article that may help break it down.

https://www.agilealliance.org/epic-confusion/

0 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2019

Hi @Mattia Fracassini ,

You could use a Control Chart based on a filter of epics from your project. Here's how I would set it up:

1. Create a filter called "[project name] Epics" that pulls in every epic from that project
  2. Create a board using that filter
  3. Run the Control Chart Report from that new board
  4. At the bottom of the report select the parameters for ta custom date range to the start of the last sprint through the end of the current sprint.
  5. Set the Columns parameter to "Done"

This should show you how many epics were finished over the time period, you'll need to visually separate it by the end of the last sprint. 

Or...

You could use that Epics filter to create a "Two dimensional" dashboard gadget where one axis is the Sprint and the other axis is the Epic Status. That will give you the status all of the epics, grouped by Sprint.

Please let me know if either of these work for you.

-Scott

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events