Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quickest way to add new project to Scrum Rapid Board

Prem Mariappan April 28, 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what the quickest way is to add a new project to an existing Scrum Rapid Board?

At the moment, the only way I seem to be able to do it is to:

• enter the rapid board
  • Click "Settings" cog -> Configure
  • Filter Tab -> click "Edit Filter"
  • In the box on the left, click "Edit"
  • Manually edit the JQL query to include the new project

Have I missed something? Is there an easier way?

Thank you.

Prem.

7 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2012

You have identified the easiest way. It should not be a chore to update it, if you find yourself doing it often, consider using some advanced JQL with JQLTricks plugin so that it no longers needs to be edited.

0 votes
Ram Muthiah June 13, 2013

Sure. I will create a new thread. Thanks.

0 votes
Ram Muthiah June 12, 2013

Thanks Tom. I was using long ones (project names) in JQL. I changed the short keys. I am not hitting the limit for now. That's good. So, I can have additional filter with all projects I need. However, I am still not able to change filter query under "Filter" tab although I am the owner of the board. There should be a way where we can easily add/remove projects from a board.

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2013

There should be no reason you can't change the filter if you are owner. Projects can be easily added or removed from a board. I suggest you open a new issuerather than piggy backing here.

0 votes
Ram Muthiah June 11, 2013

This is a problem if you are trying to track multiple projects in one rapid board. I am tracking 17 projects in a rapid board now. JQL box does not accept more than 255 characters. When I try to add 18th project, it just can't accept it. I am the owner of the board. I can't even edit "Filter query" under "filter" tab. I can only go to "Quick Filters" tab and add new filter provided the JQL is less than 255 characters.

We have lots of small projects. We have boards for groups of these small projects. I also have a global board for entire web team. That's where I am stuck with 255 character limit. Any ideas to overcome this issue? Thanks.

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2013

I did not know of such a limit. Are you using the short project name (Key) rather than the long one? What else is in the JQL bringing it over 255?

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2012

Yeah that makes sense.

But again, if your requirement is to have all projects included, then the filter that you used for the Rapidboard, you can just leave out this project filtering so that all new Projects that are created are also automatically considered in the filter.

And if the requirement is to specifically select the projects, then bookmark the edit filter URL of your filter used in the Rapid board. This will be your easiest option.

The project names asked during the new board creation is actually for determining the filter sharing options. A new board always creates a new filter which you can always tune directly to suite your requirements.

0 votes
Prem Mariappan April 29, 2012

We do many quick turnaround projects, typically ranging from 1-4 weeks. And we may have as many as 5 projects concurrently. So we do create quite a few JIRA/GH projects. Saving some time on the setup of each would be great.

In terms of usability though, it doesn't need to be so complicated to add a project to a Rapid Board. When you create a new Rapid Board, you get a nice dialog which lets you select from existing projects. Being able to add new projects to an existing Rapid Board should likewise be easy.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2012

But isn't that this is something you wont be doing so frequently? Or is your filter criteria so stringent that it includes issues by issue keys?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events