Jira: How can I find out the sprint ID of a particular sprint?

Hi everyone!

I want to set a filter that filters for issues which are in a particular sprint in Jira. For that purpose I need the sprint ID of a particular sprint. How can I find out the sprint ID of a particular sprint?

Thanks for your help!!

8 answers

1 accepted

33 votes
Eddie Webb Community Champion Aug 23, 2012

The hack i found was to view the sprint report for an active/closed sprint.

/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=4&view=reporting&chart=sprintRetrospective&sprint=1

The global Sprint ID will showup in the URL. I would really love AtLSSIAN to add a simple link that jumps to issue navigator, pre-filtered like the old boards did.

Thanks Eddie, you've helped me on this one!

Hi Eddie,

Is there a sprint id associated with a future inactive sprint as well? For example, during sprint planning I create a new sprint on the Plan tab for different boards. Then I am writing a jql to pull out issues from "Next" sprints in every board but seems like jira/greenhopper only creates a sprint ID for active sprints?

Cheers,

Nikhil

Eddie Webb Community Champion Sep 11, 2013

@nIKHIL, you should start a new question for this topic. But in short no, the future sprints in the planning view are actually called "markers", and I do not think they are available via JQL- https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/52688/how-to-use-rapid-board-s-sprint-marker-in-jql-query, but you can get the list of issues in a future sprint from the rest api.

Also note that there should be a link in planning view on markers that says something like "view in inssue navigator"

Alternatively, if you create a new query and type in Sprint = "Whatever", JIRA will replace "Whatever" with the sprint number.

Awesome. This is straight forward and easy. It gave me my furture sprint id.

Hover over the 'Future Sprint' link in a jira that is planned and the id will be shown in the URL link at the foot of your browser.

Failing this. You can use web developer tools and "Inspect element" on the sprint name. The sprint id is a property of the div container

Corey's comment did the trick for me.

Open that link(Future sprint) in the new tab. You'll see sprint param in the url which is sprint id

Inspect element worked for me - thanks!

Corey, thanks a lot! It works.

Hover works on the three dots icon of the dashboard/backlog view. Hover over the icon and see the sprintID in the URL view at the bottom of the browser. Works for both future sprints and active sprints.

Simplest, best answer.

1. Go to Backlog board
  2. Right click on any element related to your sprint control (edit button, threee dots)
  3. Inspect you sprint id in element attributes

In the Sprint View click on the icon to the right of the sprint name that produces a Query for the sprint.

The url includes the sprint number:
... ?jql=sprint %3D 117

Go to backlog board. Find the respective sprint click on the small icon against the spirnt. You will be taken to a new screen wherer the sprint id is given in the search filed

What if someone sends you a filter to run with sprint ids only

sprint in (22, 33, 44)

It returns the issues list and looking at the sprint column of the report, you can see them, but if the issue runs across multiple sprints you get multiple user friendly sprint names for a single issue, so how do you know which one correlates to 22, 33, and 44?

Basically looking for a reverse lookup from  index to friendly name

There's probably a better solution than this out there, but one way that works, if the sprints were added after ticket creation, is to check the History tab on the ticket. Look for where the sprints were added and it will list out the sprint names, plus their IDs (in same order as name).

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Feb 08, 2018 in Agile

Community Showcase: Getting to know Kemal, AUG Leader from Bosnia and Herzegovina

Cheers to Kemal Bajramovic, our first ever AUG Leader to be Showcased. AUG Leaders are passionate experts who find time in their own busy lives to host Atlassian themed events to share ...

203 views 3 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot