Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to show an issue on an active scrum view that is not in the sprint?

Dennis Lindenberg April 16, 2020

I have backlog items that need to be watched in daily standup. Currently I have a clumsy method of pulling them into sprint but labeling to make them stand out (and keep the original sprint/backlog info somewhere in text).

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2020

Hi @Dennis Lindenberg ,

Would it work keeping them in the sprint using labels (e.g. add label 'mid-sprint') and then creating a swimlane in the scrum board that separates those stories where label = "mid-sprint"? I used a similar method to separate "blocked" stories from others and it seems helpful.

Dennis Lindenberg April 20, 2020

Hi @Carlos Garcia Navarro

Thanks for the suggestion. I am using a label to differentiate the committed and 'workahead' work in swimlanes.

I am trying to solve the problem of keeping the workahead stories in their original sprints, or backlog, but still show them on the active board. I have to do a hack that changes to the current sprint, but edit the originated sprint in text in the story description. Not elegant and potentially error-prone.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2020

I see... You could create a new Kanban board from a saved filter that looks like this:

project in ("Carlos classic Project") AND sprint in openSprints() AND sprint not in futureSprints() OR labels = mid-sprint

where you use your project name instead of "Carlos classic Project"

Then, yoiu can edit the board settings and create a swimlane for those stories where labels-mid-sprint and another swimlane for everything else

I just tried it and I think it looks like what you're looking for:

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 9.37.18 PM.png

Hope it helps,

Carlos

Dennis Lindenberg April 21, 2020

A good try! While it solves one problem, it creates others. I need to keep my team focused on the Scrum board. The kanban board would be yet another board. 

Based upon this and other replies, the rules of a scrum board require items to be in the active sprint, so I'll do the diligence of maintaining the original sprint in the story description. Seems to be working this far.

Thanks for your consideration and thoughts.

Dennis

0 votes
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 16, 2020

I guess a creative quick filter on the backlog view won't help for your stand-ups because you want the status columns that are visible on the active sprint view.

Can you provide more information about this use case? What are the backlog items being monitored for?

Dennis Lindenberg April 17, 2020

Hi Kat, the desire is to differentiate between work committed by the team and stories that were added mid-sprint. We want all work to be visible on the board but be clear about what needs to finish during the sprint. 

I can create swim lanes with a simple query based on some flag like a label. The problem is that the basic board query does not specify 'current sprint'. It appears to be a given, so that automatically excludes items that are not in the sprint. I prefer to keep that workahead stuff in the original sprint. Less chance of error, and keeps the plans/backlog intact.

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 20, 2020

Do you use the Sprint Report? This report can be viewed for the active sprint as well as past sprints. 

All the sorties in the current sprint are separated under the headings Completed Issues, Issues Not Completed, and Issues completed outside of this sprint. Any stories added mid-sprint are indicated with an *.  

Dennis Lindenberg April 21, 2020

Yes, I use the sprint report for info like this. Unfortunately, I am looking to display the information on the sprint board as a single place to look. Sticking with my manual method for now. Thank you.

Like Kat Warner likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events