Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Jira Portfolio 3.7.0 Roadmap View without Estimates

Lindsay Czopur August 14, 2019

We run a "no estimates" shop with Kanban teams, so we’d like to figure out a way that we could automate rough scope. We do not use Sprints or Story Points or Days.

What I’d like to do is set an estimated time for an issue (in this case an EPIC) and when the issue is moved to In Progress, the timeline bar automatically appears and goes OUT to the estimated time. However, the field that we are using for "Original Estimate" is derived from our Tempo add-on, so I am not sure it will tie into Portfolio.  

Is there another field I should be using that would correlate with the timeline bar?

Or is there any way to use the Original Estimate field and have it populate the timeline bar in Portfolio when the EPIC is moved to In Progress?

Or any better ideas for how we can use the timeline bar automatically for rough estimates if we are not using the story points/days/hours fields?

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2019

Hi Lindsay, 

I don't have a perfect answer, but I'll try to answer anyway :-) If I understand you correctly, you would like to use original estimate field as the estimate for capacity planning and timeline visualization in Portfolio plans.

Portfolio uses the estimate field for capacity planning, to show you wether you're overbooked or not. 

For timeline visualization of issues your options are: dates, sprint assignment, or estimates + auto-schedulinging.

So, it's not possible to use the original estimate.

One option you could try is use an automation app to "copy" original estimate to estimate field. 

Please let me know if the above helps,

Roi

Lindsay Czopur August 16, 2019

Hi Roi - I'm afraid I don't quite understand your solution, and it's taken me a few days to get to be able to test it out.

The only field I have available is "Original Estimate" which is tied to Tempo - I do not have an Estimate field available in the system from what I can tell (I checked the available fields in the admin portal). 

Could you outline specific steps for the above solution?  

It appears, however, any way you cut there is no way to trigger portfolio to update it's estimates based on workflows, so I'm not sure it will be useful for a team that runs no estimates.  Please let me know if you have any other ideas!  Thanks again for all the help!

Jan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2019

Hi actually the "Original Estimate" field is a Jira system field. It will not be found as "Original Estimate" though. It is a field added when you add "time tracking" field to issues. When Time Tracking is added to issues the "Original Estimate" is available for editing.  The Original Estimate is jql searchable and is found with "originalEstimate".  I hope this helps you so you can configure Portfolio (I'm not a Portfolio user so I am not able to assist beyond this basic knowledge).

screen with system field.PNG

Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2019

Hi @Lindsay Czopur ,

Sorry if I got you confused. Looking again at your question. There is no automation that ties estimates, workflow transition, and visualization on the timeline. That is an interesting feature suggestion though. 

Roi

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events