Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to have a automatically generated unique ID value for a custom field?

Anne C May 21, 2018

Aside from Jira key, I want the Jira issues of my project to have unique IDs in the context of the issue type where they belong to. 

Example:

Jira Project

• Issue Type
    • Jira Key (Custom Field)

Alpha Project (AP)

• Bug
    • AP-1 (Bug-1)
    • AP-2 (Bug-2)
    • AP-3 (Bug-3)
  • Story
    • AP-4 (Story-1)
    • AP-5 (Story-2)
    • AP-6 (Story-3)
  • Task
    • AP-7 (Task-1)
    • AP-8 (Task-2)
    • AP-9 (Task-3)

Beta Project (BP)

• Bug
    • BP-1 (Bug-1)
    • BP-4 (Bug-1)
    • BP-7 (Bug-1)
  • Story
    • BP-2 (Story-1)
    • BP-5 (Story-2)
    • BP-8 (Story-3)
  • Task
    • BP-3 (Task-1)
    • BP-6 (Task-2)
    • BP-9 (Task-3)

How to be able to achieve this?

Plugins? if scripting, which tools and where should I start?

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2018

Hi Anne,

Since you are new here I was wondering why issue linking is not enough for you? (Or maybe since you are new you did not know about it).

If you are unhappy with the issue linking functionlality as maybe you wanted to be able to search by links, with Scriptrunner has a lot of issuefunctions which you can use to search throught the links or sort. (But I'm sure Nic can tell you more about it since it is from Adaptavist) ;)

Anne C May 22, 2018

Thanks for this info Lara, however, my question is not related to issue linking. 

What I want to achieve is to be able to have tracking IDs for each issue in the project specific to which issue type where they belong. 

laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2018

Hi Anne, 

Have you checked out this add-on https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214561/issue-picker-custom-field-type-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview ? Its free and I thinks it sounds very similiar to what you need.

Regards

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2018

You will need to find or write some code to do this. 

It won't be as simple as it sounds, as you'll need to think about how to store your sequence number and what happens if several processes all ask for the "next" number at the same time.

Anne C May 22, 2018

Thanks for the enlightenment. I agree with what you mentioned to consider such as where to get sequence number and for the several processes. 

I was just wondering if any plugins can do this functionality before I even dive in to coding the complex solution. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2018

I've yet to find a public add-on to do it.

I did run into one that was owned by a large corporation and had been written in-house.  As part of the engagement was to simplify their over-bloated system, we had a look at it and discovered that only the person who wrote it ever used it.  Everyone else worked off the issue key.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events