How to create a filter that returns a list of EPICS that has at least one story within an active sprint

Glenn Nelson August 21, 2013

Atlassian JIRA v5.1
Atlassian GreenHopper v6.2

I want to create a filter that identifies a list of EPICS that has an associated story (Issues in EPIC) that are within an active sprint. I only want to return results that are EPICs and not the stories.

Eg.

- An Epic (EPIC1) has a story (STORY1) listed under the 'Issues in EPIC' section.
- STORY1 has Active Sprint as SPRINT1

I require:
- EPIC1 to be returned within the search result.
- STORY1 will not be returned within the search result.

Is anyone able to provide a JQL example of how this can be achieved, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn

3 answers

Suggest an answer

2 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2013

I don't think that's possible without plugins at the moment. If you can install plugins, then for example with Script Runner (other fine plugins offering similar are available), the query would be:

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("sprint in openSprints()", "has epic")

To break that down:

"sprint in openSprints()" is the subquery, you could add "and issuetype = Story" or other clauses. openSprints() is any active, not unstarted, sprints.

linkedIssuesOf finds any issues linked to isses in the subquery, following the specified link direction. In this case, epics and stories are connected by the "has epic/is epic of" link.

1 vote
Glenn Nelson September 11, 2013

Does anyone know if Atlassian JIRA Agile v6.3 (formally known as greenhopper) contain this capability (without the need for a plugin)?

Any further help is appreciated.

ps. Thanks to Jamie for the plugin information.

0 votes
Olivier_Verhoek October 18, 2015

Helped me so much smile 

Is there a easy ways to have a view for "Next" sprint.
Where I know there will be no easy solution like "sprint in openSprints()".

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2015
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events