Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How the amount of work added and remaining work calculated in release burn down chart?

parthajit.mahaldar November 29, 2019

In jira release burn down report, I could not find out how added work and remaining work is being calculated.

I wanted to see the tickets as well which were added to the release.

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Mhasan November 29, 2019

hi

can you explain more about your question? 

parthajit.mahaldar December 1, 2019

I'm struggling to find out which are the tickets being considered as added to the version and which are the tickets are being remaining for a sprint.

In release burn down report we can only see the tickets which are closed.

Mhasan December 2, 2019

this chart shows all issues that are in an specific release, it means that whenever an issue is placed in the release and also is estimated (time or story points), it would be shown in release burndown report. 

so you can see all estimated issues (open or closed). in the report, for each sprint it shows all the remaining tasks in the beginning of the sprint (total bar) and the light green bar shows completed tasks in the sprint. also light blue bar shows the remainig tasks.

dark blue bar shows tasks that were not in the release in the beginning of the sprint but were added and estimated during that sprint.

below is a description of these parts:

• Light green section = work completed during the sprint.
    Note, if a bar is completely light green, you won't be able to tell how much of the work completed was originally estimated or not. To find out this information, click the bar to view the details.
  • Light blue section = work that is remaining in the version, out of the total work estimated for the version at the start of the sprint.
  • Dark blue section = work that was added during the sprint, but not originally included (i.e. scope change).
  • Light green section + light blue section = total work in the version, that was originally estimated at the start of the sprint.
  • Light blue section + dark blue section = total work in the version, that is remaining at the end of the sprint.
  • Bars with grey sections = predicted sprints

also you can see here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver0713/release-burndown-965542710.html

hope it has helped.

parthajit.mahaldar December 2, 2019

Hi, 

Thank you for the reply but unfortunately I'm not able to see the chart that you have attached.

I need some clarity on this " whenever an issue is placed in the release and also is estimated (time or story points)"

Lets take for an example below chart:

Capture.PNG

In the above chart, for sprint 2 we have 5 added story points and 79 remaining, I wanted to find out which are the tickets/issues who contribute to get that number 5 or 79.

For completed story points which is 10 for sprint 2, I can scroll down the release burn down report for that version and distinctively see the tickets which contributes to get the number 10 but for remaining and added I can not see the tickets information.

I would be really helpful, if there is a way to see the details (either in backend db or jiira app).

Thanks.

Mhasan December 2, 2019

aha, there is no easy way to see the detail af added and remaining issues.

you can see the Added tasks by searching like this JQL: 

project = X AND fixVersion = 1.3 AND fixVersion was not 1.3 BEFORE 'TIME'

*1.3 is the target version and 'TIME' is the start date of that sprint

and for remaining task:

project = X AND fixVersion = 1.3 AND fixVersion was 1.3 BEFORE 'TIME1' AND resolution was Unresolved AFTER 'TIME2'

*1.3 is the target version and 'TIME1' is the start date of that sprint and 'TIME2' is the end date of that sprint

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events