Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make the Kanban column based on label or other condition rather than just status?

DexterHu June 19, 2019

We have multiple teams have a shared backlog, and the different team is using different board, while some of their issue type or issue type status are the same for the teams. Therefore because the team shared the same issue type or the same status and Kanban column based on issue status, team A's tasks appear on team B's board. I don't want team A's tasks appearing on Team B's board. Is there any way can do this?

I know we can create a quick filter to do that, but it makes the workflow harder for team members.

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2019

Hi @DexterHu,

Welcome to the Community!

We have a simialr environment and what we did to solve this issue is we altered the board queries to also limit by a custom group field "Assigned Group".

We also hae a group for each of the teams, and as they are picking up work they will assign the issue to their group which means that only tasks that are unassigned or assigned to their group will be displayed on their board.

This does come with some education to make sure that teams always use that field, but we haven't had any issues with that so far.

I hope that helps.

-James

DexterHu June 19, 2019

Thanks for the help. James! It sounds good to me, but I'm not so sure I totally understand you mentioned method. Could you give me some steps so I could try what you said?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2019

Hi @DexterHu,

Sure thing. So the first thing you are going to do is create a custom group field (if you don't already have an "Assigned Group" field).

Next, you are going to want to add that field to the various Create/Edit/View screens for your project.

Then, you are going to create a few groups to represent the development teams, and you will want to add the members of the teams to the appripriate groups.

Lastly, you are going to update query for the kanban board so that it includes the following JQL logic:

"Assigned Group" = "Team A"

or

assignee in (membersOf("Team A"))

The first will display everything where the custom group field has been given a value that matches the team name.  The second will display everything that is assigned to a user that is a member of a given custom group.  I believe either should satsify the filtering you are looking to accomplish.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks!

-James

Fred Kevin January 23, 2022

Jimmy or whoever sitting reading this since 2019...do you think you answered the question: "make the Kanban column based on label?"

or I don't understand your  infinity and beyond level of knowledge...

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2022

Hi @Fred Kevin,

Welcome to the Community!

I agree with you that I did not answer the question "make the Kanban column based on label?".  However, if you read the entire question in the description, the question changed to ask about "how to prevent Team A's tasks from appearing on Team B's board".

To that question I believe I proposed a reasonable answer. 

Should the subject line be changed to match the question in the description?  Possibly, but that would be up to the author of the post or the managers of the online community.

Thanks!

-Jimmy

Jacob Ahmu May 11, 2022

Hi @Jimmy Seddon
Is it possible to create a Column based on a Label?

Thanks,
Jacob

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

Hi @Jacob Ahmu,

No it is not possible to create a Column based on a Label.  Columns are used to separate issues based on statuses.  If you want to separate issues by label you will need to use swim lanes.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events