It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can i create a project template?

Is it possible to create a template for projects? Example i need to create some epics and this will be default to all projects when i create projects. Those epics should load to all projects as default.

5 answers

0 votes
Kevin Bui Atlassian Team Mar 03, 2019

Hi @sajeesh - If I'm interpreting your question correctly, you want to configure Jira so that all new projects that are created are also created with a set of epics.

I don't believe this is possible out-of-the-box, but could be possible with a Marketplace app or some other customization.

What Jira refers to as "templates", are the default project configurations that you can select from when you create a project (eg: Scrum, Kanban, Bug Tracking, Project Management, next-gen, etc) and you can't modify those.

Jira also has "schemes", which are configurations that you can create and then apply to projects as you see fit. Jira allows you to configure schemes for Issue Types, Notifications, Issue Security, Permissions, Workflows, and Field Configurations. But nothing for default issues, which is what you're looking for.

0 votes
Marty Atlassian Team Mar 03, 2019

Hi Sajeesh,

I am not on the Jira team but I will try to help.

What you're talking about sounds like the Project Templates feature in Jira Next-Gen Projects.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Everything-you-want-to-know-about-next-gen-projects-in-Jira/ba-p/894773

"Soon, we'll give you the ability to extract your next-gen project settings into their own template, and link two or more projects' settings together. If you need to share configurations across projects today, you might be happier with a classic project."

I hope that helps!

0 votes

Hi @sajeesh,

creating project templates can be easily accomplished with Configuration Manager for Jira - an app which allows you to move/merge/copy existing project configurations with complete confidence. 

Your use case is well-documented here as part of Configuration Manager for Jira's long list of solutions.

If you need any help or facing an issue with your project, don't hesitate to contact our support team.

I hope that will help you :)

If you want to clone a template Epic and all its tasks you can use our Marketplace app Deep Clone for Jira.

You still would have to create the new project but with Deep Clone you can bulk clone and move the whole Epic and all included tasks at once.

We are using Delegated Project Creator for JIRA in our Data Center platform to create a set of reusable project templates.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211157/delegated-project-creator-for-jira?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Agile

Overview of Advanced Roadmaps UI + Get started with Automation for Jira - Demo Den September 2020

Deliver better and faster value to your customers with the Jira automation platform. Watch this Demo Den series below to learn how to use the new interface and set up automation rules to help your te...

1,177 views 3 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you