Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i create a project template?

sajeesh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 3, 2019
Is it possible to create a template for projects? Example i need to create some epics and this will be default to all projects when i create projects. Those epics should load to all projects as default.

8 answers

Suggest an answer

6 votes
Julien Peyrade _ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 21, 2023

Hello, 

I believe this question has not been fully answered, so if you don't mind I will try my best.

As far as I understand, you need to initialize new projects, automatically, with specific epics/tasks and no outside action required.

The answers so far seem to be for Data Center instead of Cloud, or to clone project configuration (not content), or to require an additional action after the project has been created.

So, to answer your exact question my advice would be to use our app,  Elements Copy & Sync which can help you do exactly what you need.

I think the best way to do what you want would be to have your template project organized in Epics, with issues and subtasks within. Then, you can use Elements Copy & Sync with Automation to automatically copy all your Epics to your new project.

This can be done with our integration with Automation, and the following rule :

screenshot-epc-demo.atlassian.net-2023.03.21-16_58_54.png

As you can see, the rule is triggered each time a project is created, and the Epic from the template project 'TPL' are automatically copied to the new project.

When you open your new projects, your Epics and their full hierarchies will already be there. :)

The app is free for 30 days, (and stays free if your instance is under 10 users), so feel free to give it a try, and don't hesitate to tell reach our Support if you have any question.

Kind regards,

Julien

4 votes
Litew8 GmbH May 17, 2023

Hi @sajeesh

as you haven't accepted an answer yet and all suggested solutions are either complicated to setup or have limitations, we'd like to show you how simple the solution can be with our Forge app. Project Templates for Jira

Step 1:
Create a project template based on an existing project to reuse the settings.
Create Custom Template.png

Step 2:
In template settings, create predefined Epics, Tasks, Subtasks and link them together.

Predefined Issues.PNG

Step 3:
Activate the template and click 'Create' to create projects that will be initialized with shared configuration and predefined Epics, Tasks...

My first template.png

2 votes
W_L April 18, 2023

Hi @sajeesh

Solutions without addon

Sharing project configuration on creation

1. Create a base project that you want to use a template for project configuration.

2. When creating a new project. Select the 'Share settings with an existing project' checkbox and select the base project.

Pro: This offers a easy and free way to assign new projects shared schemes.

Cons: It might be unclear to users which project they should choose as base project.

This solution does not copy epics/issues, components, versions, project category

Creating default epics in new created projects

1. Create a global jira automation rule that triggers on project creation.

2. Then define 'Create issue' actions to specify the details of the epics you want to create in each new project.

Epic creation.PNG

Pro: Easy and free solution to create issues, components and versions in all new created projects.

Cons: You can only define one set of elements that will be created in all projects.

The elements defined are fix, they will not adapt compared to copying the current versions/components/issues during project creation.

Addon solutions

To avoid the cons mentioned, there are multiple solutions for onPrem and cloud in different price ranges on the marketplace:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=project%20templates%20jira

You can try all of them for free for 30 days and most of them are free under 10 users in cloud.

1 vote
Tad Foster March 25, 2020

We are using Delegated Project Creator for JIRA in our Data Center platform to create a set of reusable project templates.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211157/delegated-project-creator-for-jira?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

1 vote
Teodora V
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2019

Hi @sajeesh,

creating project templates can be easily accomplished with Configuration Manager for Jira - an app which allows you to move/merge/copy existing project configurations with complete confidence. 

Your use case is well-documented here as part of Configuration Manager for Jira's long list of solutions.

If you need any help or facing an issue with your project, don't hesitate to contact our support team.

I hope that will help you :)

1 vote
Marty
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2019

Hi Sajeesh,

I am not on the Jira team but I will try to help.

What you're talking about sounds like the Project Templates feature in Jira Next-Gen Projects.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Everything-you-want-to-know-about-next-gen-projects-in-Jira/ba-p/894773

"Soon, we'll give you the ability to extract your next-gen project settings into their own template, and link two or more projects' settings together. If you need to share configurations across projects today, you might be happier with a classic project."

I hope that helps!

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 13, 2019

With our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira you can clone epics and larger issue hierarchies and move them to other projects. 

• Simply navigate to the epic you want to clone
  • Click Deep Clone in the issue action menu
  • Click Epic/Tree Clone
  • Configure you clone

Demo video

If you want to clone several Epics at once:

• Filter for all Epics and issues you want to clone
  • Click on the Deep Clone Bulk Clone button
  • Configure you clone

Demo video 

It is also possible to clone entire company-managed and team-managed projects along with components, versions, settings and issues. 

• Filter for all Epics and issues you want to clone
  • Click on the Deep Clone Bulk Clone button
  • Select "Clone project" as target project
  • Configure you clone

Demo video

deep-clone-jira_project-clone.png

0 votes
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2019

Hi @sajeesh - If I'm interpreting your question correctly, you want to configure Jira so that all new projects that are created are also created with a set of epics.

I don't believe this is possible out-of-the-box, but could be possible with a Marketplace app or some other customization.

What Jira refers to as "templates", are the default project configurations that you can select from when you create a project (eg: Scrum, Kanban, Bug Tracking, Project Management, next-gen, etc) and you can't modify those.

Jira also has "schemes", which are configurations that you can create and then apply to projects as you see fit. Jira allows you to configure schemes for Issue Types, Notifications, Issue Security, Permissions, Workflows, and Field Configurations. But nothing for default issues, which is what you're looking for.

Jack Young
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 16, 2024

Having the ability to setup a new Jira project template with my own configuration would save me and my collegues so much time.

There should be a way to allow us the users to save the project settings in a template and when we need to create a new project simply use them at the point of creation rather than the 4 or 5 steps following selecting Scum > Company managed project > Add project details / share settings with an exisiting project etc... 

We should be able to create a template, call the template what we want, and then select the template that already comes with the settings we chose as standard to make the process of creating a new project simpler.

Any way of doing this?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events