How can a epic span more than one project

The Agile JIRA docs state:

"An epic can span more than one project, if multiple projects are included in the board to which the epic belongs."

I see that when we create an Epic that we choose from single Project. I have more than one Project in the related Board and can not see how to associated more than one Project to an Epic.

Can you please help explain?

Thx

1 answer

1 accepted

1 votes
Daryl Chuah Atlassian Team Nov 13, 2013

Hi Sven

An epic can span more than one project, if multiple projects are included in the board to which the epic belongs.

The above statement basically explain when you create a rapid board where you can select multiple project, from there you will see multiple issue span from different project(which you configure earlier) in the backlog section.

After that, you can create an Epic in the left view on the board and then drag the issues that span from different project on the backlog section to Epic so that it will associate with the Epic.

OK got it now. Thx for your support!

Daryl Chuah Atlassian Team Nov 13, 2013
Cool then please accept my answer so that it can help others as well ;)

Hi Daryl, 

I still have a follow up. Currently how our organization is setting up JIRA is still not clear for us. we have individual project spaces for e.g P1 and P2. From our specific area, we give user stories/epics to both projects. We also have our own specific project space only for OUR team/Area - SPE1. Now our leadership has access to SPE1 and wants to track all projects together where we work and also consolidate all EPICS under P1 and P2 given by our team to be reflected under SPE1 as well. is there a way we can do that without having to maintain them separately under each space. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Feb 08, 2018 in Agile

Community Showcase: Getting to know Kemal, AUG Leader from Bosnia and Herzegovina

Cheers to Kemal Bajramovic, our first ever AUG Leader to be Showcased. AUG Leaders are passionate experts who find time in their own busy lives to host Atlassian themed events to share ...

194 views 3 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot