Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a epic span more than one project

Sven Resch November 13, 2013

The Agile JIRA docs state:

"An epic can span more than one project, if multiple projects are included in the board to which the epic belongs."

I see that when we create an Epic that we choose from single Project. I have more than one Project in the related Board and can not see how to associated more than one Project to an Epic.

Can you please help explain?

Thx

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

7 votes
Answer accepted
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2013

Hi Sven

An epic can span more than one project, if multiple projects are included in the board to which the epic belongs.

The above statement basically explain when you create a rapid board where you can select multiple project, from there you will see multiple issue span from different project(which you configure earlier) in the backlog section.

After that, you can create an Epic in the left view on the board and then drag the issues that span from different project on the backlog section to Epic so that it will associate with the Epic.

Sven Resch November 13, 2013

OK got it now. Thx for your support!

darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2013
Cool then please accept my answer so that it can help others as well ;)
Garima Srivastava December 27, 2017

Hi Daryl, 

I still have a follow up. Currently how our organization is setting up JIRA is still not clear for us. we have individual project spaces for e.g P1 and P2. From our specific area, we give user stories/epics to both projects. We also have our own specific project space only for OUR team/Area - SPE1. Now our leadership has access to SPE1 and wants to track all projects together where we work and also consolidate all EPICS under P1 and P2 given by our team to be reflected under SPE1 as well. is there a way we can do that without having to maintain them separately under each space. 

Dave Campbell June 14, 2018

Hi Daryl,

I apologise in advance for asking a question that has been seemingly solved.

I am able to create an Epic and use a filter to see epics from both projects using this:

project = "Business plan" OR project = Backlog AND type = epic

But I'm not able to see epics in another board or Active sprint.  

Can you be more specific on how to do this?  Where do you go exactly to select multiple projects?

Cheers

The above statement basically explains when you create a rapid board where you can select multiple projects, from there you will see multiple issues from different projects (which you configured earlier) in the backlog section.

Chamilka Baranasuriya June 30, 2018

Hi Dave,

I have one project - project A containing only epics and several other projects having user stories belonging to epics defined in Project A. it is possible for me to view both

1. Epics in Project A and

2. Issues in other projects belonging to epics in project A in a single board

by using the following query for my jira scrum board.

"Epic Link" in (Epic_1, Epic_2) OR project = "Project A"

Like Luke Tolchard likes this
Dave Campbell July 2, 2018

Is this query done as a filter in Jira?  In other words, there is no actual relationship between epics and projects in separate projects.   

Chamilka Baranasuriya July 4, 2018

I am not sure i understood what you meant by 'there is no actual relationship between epics and projects in separate projects'

This query is a filter and i use that filter in my jira board. My jira board contains

1. All issues from differnt projects  belonging to Epic_1 and Epic_2 and
  2. All issues in Project A irrespective of which Epic they belong too.

/Chamilka

6 votes
Ricky Villa July 20, 2018

Hi guys, forgive me for my ignorance when it comes to filtering. Is this done on the dashboard side or in the project itself? I'm trying to accomplish what the original poster mentioned, but unsure how to go about it. Can someone guide with a few step by step on how to get to the filter area?

I have created Project 1. It has Epic 1 that I created in the Backlog view. That Epic 1 then appears in my Active sprints in Project 1. All good here. Then I create Project 2. I want to be able to view Epic 1 from Project 1 in Project 2 Backlog and Active sprints. Is that doable? If so, what would I need to do?

Thank you.

0 votes
Tom Thompson July 8, 2021

This may not be a "bug" in Jira, but it is a bad implementation.  Changing the project filter can screw everything else up -- that is not an answer.  You can associate issues from one project with an Epic from another project.  But when you look at that Epic, it won't inherently show you the issues from the other projects.  Yet in rollup, it will pick up all the issues.  Makes no sense, but that is the way it is.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events