Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying existing board to use for another project

Ravi Nanda October 20, 2021

Recently, I discovered that I can create a template project and build my boards, issue types, and workflows, screen default configurations etc. Very cool and helps to then copy these for future projects. 

However, I tried to copy an existing board, it renames etc to copy. But when I go in to modify the name, it works, except it doesnt seem to release the ownership and project it belonged too. I have tried clearing the filters, and also the project it is tied to. But, when I do that it messes up the original project board and the filters on it somehow. I am not able to disconnect it. How can I fix this issue?

Can someone help to share how to resolve or best way to leverage an existing board into a new project?

1 answer

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2021

Hello, @Ravi Nanda !  Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

For company-managed projects in Jira, boards are based on a shared JQL filter.  For a new board, clone the filter and select it when creating a new board.

Thank you @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ - This was helpful and I think I discovered another potential issue with the steps I was following to make the clone of an existing board. This helped to solve the problem as well - https://documentation.codefortynine.com/deep-clone-for-jira/Clone-a-Jira-project%2F-a-Jira-board.608763905.html 

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2021

That will work too.  This is assuming that Deep Clone for Jira is installed.  

Like jbedar likes this

Actually I only followed the Copy and Move within Jira and it worked!

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2021

Yes, the native Jira Copy and Move controls were what you need. If you can afford it Deep Clone is great for clone project structure where you need to repeat the same tasks again. It is the first add-on I tried and found useful enough to keep it.

u119109 April 13, 2022

https://documentation.codefortynine.com/deep-clone-for-jira/Clone-a-Jira-project%2F-a-Jira-board.608763905.html

@Ravi Nanda I used this link from your comment. Now after copying and moving the board to the new project if I make changes in the new project, will it affect the previous one?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events