Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I track Story Points remaining when an Issue rolls into a new Sprint?

David Vogl May 3, 2018

Regarding Issues which will roll into the next Sprint:

The Issue originally had a 5 Story Point value; it rolls over, and in the next Sprint there are only 2 points worth of work remaining.

Is there a good way to track the original 5 SP in (Sprint 1) and the Prorated / Remaining 2 SP (Sprint 2) separately? 

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Troy Spetz July 9, 2018

As Nic has said, JIRA is not designed to support carry-over of issues (and preserve their original SPs).

If the original SP estimate needs to be preserved, I suggest defining a custom metadata field where you can keep track of the initial SP estimate. Of course, doing calculations/reporting with a custom SP field is more difficult than using JIRA's built-in SP field.

Other questions to ask about why issues are being carried over to the next sprint:

- Are the initial SP estimates too large (i.e. should have been broken down further)?

- Are the high SP issues being started too late in the sprint?

- Are issues being (peer) reviewed fast enough (i.e. not sitting and waiting for reviews) so that they can go to test without any unnecessary delay?

- Are developers grabbing all the 'good/fun/interesting issues' at the sprint start and then holding onto them (but not progressing them) until they have time to start them?

- Do testers get to provide their own Test SP estimate which provides additional guidance to Developers about how early an issue (which requires a lot of testing) needs to be started within the sprint?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2018

Not without code. 

From Jira's point of view, there's no such "roll over" for the 2 and 3.  If an issue is rolling into the next sprint, then you failed to deliver it.  How far through you are is irrelevant.

Adam Saunders November 26, 2020

For the following Sprint, should the team plan their commitment using the original Story point value/estimate on the "rolled-over story"? Using the above example, would they use the original 5 point estimate or the remaining 2 points? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2020

You use the full estimate - how far through the story you are is irrelevant.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events