Regarding Issues which will roll into the next Sprint:
The Issue originally had a 5 Story Point value; it rolls over, and in the next Sprint there are only 2 points worth of work remaining.
Is there a good way to track the original 5 SP in (Sprint 1) and the Prorated / Remaining 2 SP (Sprint 2) separately?
As Nic has said, JIRA is not designed to support carry-over of issues (and preserve their original SPs).
If the original SP estimate needs to be preserved, I suggest defining a custom metadata field where you can keep track of the initial SP estimate. Of course, doing calculations/reporting with a custom SP field is more difficult than using JIRA's built-in SP field.
Other questions to ask about why issues are being carried over to the next sprint:
- Are the initial SP estimates too large (i.e. should have been broken down further)?
- Are the high SP issues being started too late in the sprint?
- Are issues being (peer) reviewed fast enough (i.e. not sitting and waiting for reviews) so that they can go to test without any unnecessary delay?
- Are developers grabbing all the 'good/fun/interesting issues' at the sprint start and then holding onto them (but not progressing them) until they have time to start them?
- Do testers get to provide their own Test SP estimate which provides additional guidance to Developers about how early an issue (which requires a lot of testing) needs to be started within the sprint?
Deliver better and faster value to your customers with the Jira automation platform. Watch this Demo Den series below to learn how to use the new interface and set up automation rules to help your te...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events