Adding "assignees memberof" syntax to agile filter query grays out create sprint button

Jeff Standard December 2, 2015

Anytime I add assignees to my filter query,  the "create sprint" button grays out.  As long as I leave it to "project = xxx AND fixedversion = xxx ORDER BY Rank ASC it will work.  Adding any kind of syntax regarding adding assignees even when narrowed down to a single person "assignees in (one_person)"  and that one person is the project admin within the project roles, the create sprint button grays out until i add him to the JIRA admins group long enough to create the sprint.  I remove him from JIRA admins and the sprint is created, but button is grayed out again.  Been looking and looking for best practices, known issues, etc regarding this.  Just curious if anyone has successfully added a non JIRA admin assignee to their filter query and "Create Sprint" button is still available.

1 answer

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2015

That's very odd, and I can't replicate it!

As long as I have the clause "Order by Rank ASC" in the query, and I'm a project admin, it lets me create a sprint.

Could you confirm the exact queries you are using here (everything, exactly as it is, although feel free to change the name or key of the project, and the user IDs to Bob or something)?

Also, the version of Agile/Software, Jira, and also that you're working with a single project?

Jeff Standard December 3, 2015

JIRA v6.3.9 Agile 6.7.4 Filter Query: (assignee in membersOf("dept_blah") OR assignee in membersOf(Dept_xyz) OR project = "blahblah") AND fixVersion = RELEASE123 ORDER BY Rank ASC When i remove the "assignee in" pieces, everything ok. If I add back either or both, create sprint button grays out unless its a jira admin, not project admin. Lastly, as described above, I used same syntax, except pointed it at the project admin as a test, "(assignee in membersOf(usernamexyz)), and create sprint grayed out again.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2015

Very curious. However, that is a very wide board filter, and I suspect it might be something to do with the projects and the way the users narrow down which projects are in use. With your non-admin user, could you check what projects they have access to and amend the query again. Let's say you find they have project admin rights to projects AAA, BBB and CCC, then try changing the board query to ((assignee in membersOf("dept_blah") OR assignee in membersOf(Dept_xyz) OR project = "blahblah") AND fixVersion = RELEASE123) AND project in (AAA, BBB, CCC) ORDER BY Rank ASC You can guess the next bit - does the sprint button grey out then?

Jeff Standard December 7, 2015

Nic, "Project In" did the trick.  Success using the following filter query:

assignee in membersOf(Dept_xyz) AND project in("project xyz") AND fixVersion = abc-R1 ORDER BY Rank ASC

Only problem now is that he'll have to maintain the filter adding new projects.  But no biggy, it works!

Thanks so much!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2015

I thought it might be. What's happening there is that your user does NOT have the rights to start sprints in *every* project in the system. Your filter covers all projects, so they can't start the sprints until you narrow it to ones where they can!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events