cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Scrum? The Agile Coach

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2019

I just watched the "What is Scrum?" video with Megan Cook. She did a fantastic job in explaining the difference between Agile and Scrum, as the lines have sometimes been blurred in conversations where the terms are used interchangeably - however scrum is about continuously shipping value to customers, a framework for getting work done. Whereas Agile is a set of values and principles that comes with a significant culture change, its the way we think versus the way that we work.

A framework like scrum can help you start thinking in a more agile way while building agile principles into your communication and your work. 

With scrum, a product is built in a series of iterations (called sprints) that break down big complex projects into bite size pieces, which makes the project manageable and produces high quality work. It also allows for the flexibility to adapt and change. Scrum reduces risk and cost, enabling regular feedback from users, while increasing speed and seeing value quicker. It's a tangible process, that helps teams stay focused and energized resulting in increased employee engagement and satisfaction.

In addition to the video, this image has helped me previously in distinguishing between agile versus waterfall, visualizing the difference between waterfall (top) and agile (bottom). Each sprint in the scrum process for agile results in a viable product, unlike waterfall where you don't see a finished product until the end.

agile.png

What are your thoughts on the Agile Coach video, did you have an aha moment on any of the points shared? What other tips do you have for understanding scrum?

1 comment

Comment

Brian Walker March 5, 2019

Yes, I am having an aha moment with this post. I really liked your description and the way you have explained.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2019

Thanks so much for your kind words @Brian Walker - means so much :)

Like Brian Walker likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events